Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
so is it automatic boost or still a button to push?
According to the Yamaha website it is automatic.

• Yamaha Boost Technology® (YBT) ‐ Boosts output by adding battery voltage to alternator output when needed. The Boost Control Unit (BCU) senses when extra power is needed and boosts output for up to 10 seconds, giving air conditioners, power tools, and other equipment the extra boost of power they may need to start quickly and efficiently.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
According to the Yamaha website it is automatic.

• Yamaha Boost Technology® (YBT) ‐ Boosts output by adding battery voltage to alternator output when needed. The Boost Control Unit (BCU) senses when extra power is needed and boosts output for up to 10 seconds, giving air conditioners, power tools, and other equipment the extra boost of power they may need to start quickly and efficiently.
cool
yea now if they could get a version that has 1000 watts boost.
if it was for home use i would just use an inverter setup that would accept a generator as the line as parallel.
or a generator as the backup charger power source.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Make the battery bigger... say,, in the tune of several 300Wh LiFePO4 batteries and it can probably "boost" to 5kW for 2-3 hours. Market it as an off-grid solution in-a-box.

Time to call up the patent office.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
yup this is the next million dollar idea!
"who wants to be a millionaire!"

energy is the next BIG thing!
and direct to cool would be as well
i have been noticing the amish use lp chillers for cooling in the grocery stores.
they use the chillers from refer trailers!
cool idea, less wasted energy doing the direct in one box!
and yes a natural gas version would be a great idea!

so question, why not on the larger home generators have an compressor for fridge , freezer, and cooling the house?
and then use the heat in the winter to heat the house a bit?
yea my mine is always looking at the grid system and saying we need to do better with the energy.

the ammonia fridge chiller systems in rv's use lp burner heat to cool!
why not use the wasted heat from a gen to chill?

mic drop! lol!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
👆 We had a Servel natural gas fridge when I was a kid. The darn thing never gave us a bit of trouble...it just worked.
We've had Servel propane refrigerators at our island cottage since the 1950s. Replaced the original with a spiffy new RGE400W in June, 2000 for $1,124 - Yikes! They're about $2K now. The old one had been recalled and we received a bounty through the propane dealer when we turned it in.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
So, in regards to the earlier posts that this didn't exist, and some comments that said not and never, perhaps we can all just learn to get along and not make immediate judgements :)
It's a fluke in the Matrix. lol

Seriously though, I think this falls under the exception to the rule. It's just the one out of possibly hundreds of inverter generators. It was tech that Yamaha bet on around 8-9 years ago and although they still sell a slightly modernized model, the feature has not crossed over to other models. It would've been good for marketing but somehow, they never decided to make it generally available to their whole line up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, since we are talking about it… the Yamaha generator isn’t the elephant in the room. Me (new guy) casually mentioned this battery surge technology, and a couple of folks basically told me I was full of you know what. I took the high road when I was proven correct, which I appreciate because it was frustrating to be unable to find where I read that. Lastly, no matter how experienced and knowledgeable you may be, an open mind is just as important.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Me (new guy) casually mentioned this battery surge technology, and a couple of folks basically told me I was full of you know what.
I believe that I was the first to state that I had never heard of what turned out to be called "Yamaha Boost Technology®". The fact that I stated that I had never heard of it in no way meant that I thought that you were "full of you know what". I was glad to see that @Winnipegmike was familiar with what you were talking about and was able to supply substantiation. It appears to be an interesting concept, but I'm still left wondering why it's still a one-and-done on only that one model generator after all this time.
no matter how experienced and knowledgeable you may be, an open mind is just as important.
Engineers like background, specifications and references, and are generally skeptical of unsubstantiated statements of unusual "facts". As my professors always said, "Show your work"; i.e. do your own due diligence to back up what you post. That way any misunderstandings can hopefully be avoided. On the snowblower forum, a member posted as fact a laundry list of "fake news", which was summarily torn to shreds by others.

Reactions: OrlyP

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This is pure conjecture but, I'm thinking it was a novel feature that looked good in theory. What was probably not foreseen was how generator batteries were being taken cared of by most people (which is to say, mostly don't). So when the time came for the inverter to collect that extra 500W boost, the battery under-delivers and spoils everything. For a 12V battery to fill up that 500W gap, it needs to crank out over 12V @ 40A for 10 seconds... not a problem for a reasonably healthy battery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This may be common knowledge, but I’ll mention it anyway in reference to post #13. After further reading, I’ve learned a bit more about these batteries. A "valve regulated lead acid battery" is simply an AGM battery. So the Yamaha battery isn't uncommon. It’s strange that Yamaha covers the battery charging in their owner’s manual, but Honda makes no mention of it. But, the AGM ("valve regulated lead acid battery") requires constant-voltage battery charging for maximum lifespan. Using a conventional taper-voltage battery charger on an AGM battery can shorten it’s lifespan according to what I’ve read. I’m hoping my NOCO 1 amp charger in AGM mode will provide the proper voltage while charging. I’ve had good luck with their battery chargers so far.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts