Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold my old one and looking to replace it with the above model. Thoughts...? Dutchy

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
how BIG of saw do you need??
one of my clients is a BIG wood guy...
good stuff on the pro stihl saws...
easy to work on too.

i do all of his saw rebuilding.
and help on the large tree jobs when a BIG 8k telehandler is needed to move the BIG logs and coins.

good work to help with stress!!
lol!
get out in nature...

we do storm clean up as well.
lots of trees still need harvesting here in Iowa after last falls storm..
get the old damaged stuff down for fire wood!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always have a second saw for backup. So it doesn’t need to be big thus the preference for a limbing saw. I can’t find an MS201 in stock anywhere right now 😡 Second choice now is an Echo CS-361P. Dutchy

·
Registered
290 Posts
The small arborist Stihl saws are awesome. I used one, not sure which model, several years ago. One of these days I'll add one to my set.

At the moment I have a 55cc Husq with a 20 and 24" bar. That covers all the wood I cut. If I can't get through the whole thing in one cut I can go around but so far I haven't run in to anything that the 24" bar won't do. The problem I have with the saw is only trunks and large limbs need that saw. The other 80% of processing a tree is all the small stuff. If you work through a bunch of small stuff for 30min with the big 55cc saw you feel it. When you work through the same amount of small stuff with one of those little arborist saws you're still swinging it around like its nothing. BIG difference.

If you process a lot of wood its not how big and powerful of a saw you have that matters - you make the most efficient work of the small stuff with a small saw. Whoever swallows the least ibuprofin at the end of the day wins.

I looked at the smaller conventional homeowner saws. Dad has one with about a 14" bar. A couple years ago I took it from him, sharpened the blade, and took it back - totally different saw with a chain that will actually eat wood. But, sorry to say, for it being a Stihl I was less than impressed with the quality and ergonomics of the saw. Yeah, its a smaller, lighter saw - and anyone thats run chain saws for any length of time and maintained them knows - having a properly sharpened/formed chain (cutters + guides) is a necessity for any saw. So it will "work". It just feels pretty cheap for a Stihl. The ergonomics of the saw trying to process a bunch of small stuff is terrible with the rear handle. Though that is the conventional set up for most saws, for a small saw it doesn't work well. The top handle saws are much better balanced and let you run it single handed really easily.

I don't think theres any better combination for processing most wood (if you're doing whole trees) than a good 55-70cc saw for the bigger stuff and a small/light top handle saw with maybe a 12-14" bar. I suppose if you rarely touch small stuff, like if all you do is firewood processing, you could get by with just a bigger saw.

I'm not sure I would consider a "limbing saw" an adequate back up. I guess it depends on where you are and what size trees you might have to process, but I've cut enough wood to know those small saws won't cut the mustard even on some limbs, let alone trunks. I guess if you were down to just your "limbing saw" functioning and had to process a tree by the time you got the stuff you could get with the saw you might be able to drag the rest of it with a tractor or truck, say, to clear a driveway or road. If it were me, I'd rather have a backup bigger saw. You can still cut small stuff with a big saw. You can't cut big stuff with a small saw.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
yea stick with the stihl...
they work well for us...
and yes on the multi saw size.
a small 12 inch, 18 inch, 24 inch, 36 inch bars...
stihl saws ranging from small 100's up to the 600's in the pro lines...

the small dewalt 60 volt saw is nice for quiet emergency cuts when the ice storm gets your power lines!
we used one of those this last year on a job where the power lines were bonded to ground by the utility for the clean up..
big mess from ice...
triplex on the 240 single phase property feed from the pole...
it sure made short work out of the 6 inch tree branches that were heavy with ice...
just an hour of clearing the big chunks and we were able to re attach the tri plex.
we left the tree clean up for a better day.... with out the ice!

total rural on that but plenty of batteries and a gen set with bright led lights.
easy rescue setup.

oh yea a ham radio push up tower works for a light stand if you set it up right with a side of the bed mount like for ham radio use!!
we made a custom bracket for the top to hang the led lights from!
made it like a parking lot light!
or sky hook.
nice to have good lights for servicing saws on the truck bed...
chain change and oil up for the bar.
small honda eu 2200i gen was in the truck bed with an extended run fuel tank on gasoline.
nice for the coffee pot as well!!
got to stay warm when doing that cold work in the night!
go in style!
lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like my 201 very much. I’ve had it around 4 years and haven’t had any problems. I run a 16 inch bar on it and have it buried in wood and still pulls good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just snagged one. I mentioned it months ago to my local Stihl dealer and he called me last week to say that a Stihl rep had found one. I’ve only used one tank through it, 16” bar too, and it really rips for what it is. Perfect for limbing and cleaning the main trunk of the ash and the odd maple that I use for firewood. Dutchy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts