Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,.... new member here looking for some help with this EF2000is generator that's kicking my butt. I'm pretty handy with working on these, but this one has me stumped.

Issue: difficult to start,... but can get started if you monkey with the throttle plate. It will idle, but usually not idle up when turning off the ECO switch. Almost always as soon as you flip the switch, the idle control motor opens the throttle completely and the engine stalls out. I've made a video showing what it will do, and of course for the video it actually did idle up correctly but the next time it tried it, it stalled out.
I have replaced the carb, with a new one, and a known good one off another EF2000. I've ordered a new idle control motor and no change.

Anyone else been down this road ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you've ruled out fuel (new carb), check the ignition system.

1. Check the spark plug condition, gap, or replace it with a known good one
2. Use an in-line spark tester and see if it's CDI and/or ignition coil related. Check to see if the spark stays or goes out immediately after switching ECO mode off (the point where it usually dies out)

To add:
Do you see any smoke when it dies out? If yes, it may be flooding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the spark checker on it and watched it as it dies out, spark is present. I did stumble upon what i though may be the issue. If you watch it stall, it happens when the idle control takes it to WOT. So it gets a big gulp of air and stalls out. Led me to think it was getting too much air. I sprayed brakleen at base of carb where it meets the intake and noticed a slight stumble. Pulled the carb back off and had a look at the gasket. Looked completely fine. Put some Gaskacinch on each side and reassmbled. Still hard to start but now it will idle up with the ECO switch like it should.
It still doesn't start like it should and has another slight stumble in a different area on the carb base so maybe there is a crack in the plastic adapter from carb to head. Will have to tear down to inspect that. ...... ugggh !

·
Registered
832 Posts
I was thinking the opposite. I shoudl've said it's probably leaning out, not flooding. Jeez...

Anyway, it's normal for the throttle to go WOT when ramping up. It's the way for the engine to respond as fast as possible to demand changes. The important thing is that it pulls back out of WOT once the target RPM is achieved.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My take on the engine stalling as shown is fuel starvation. Since it is a new carberator I would check the fuel lines from and including the tank petcock strainer, the inline filter and to be sure the fuel line has no pinch in it. I had a truck which ran ok until it was climbing a hill and the carb was wide open. Then about 20 seconds later it started stalling out because as it turned out there was a partial pinch in the fuel and the carb float bowl emptied under high loads. That it worked correctly the first time added to idea that the float bowl is not staying full. It is gravity feed after all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My take on the engine stalling as shown is fuel starvation. Since it is a new carberator I would check the fuel lines from and including the tank petcock strainer, the inline filter and to be sure the fuel line has no pinch in it. I had a truck which ran ok until it was climbing a hill and the carb was wide open. Then about 20 seconds later it started stalling out because as it turned out there was a partial pinch in the fuel and the carb float bowl emptied under high loads. That it worked correctly the first time added to idea that the float bowl is not staying full. It is gravity feed after all.
Thanks for the response but i don't believe its a fuel issue as it'll run at full RPM and carry a load for as long as you want it. It only stalls out when you flip that switch and it goes WOT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts