Power Equipment Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Paul, Can you attach a clear photo of your throttle control and governor setup?
This is the best I can find at the site where you purchased yours.
Also tell me more about the "start/stop switch or switches. How do you shut the engine off?
This is the best I can find:
The long silver lever would be a governor.
Gov.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The large Silver lever is the throttle in my picture I can't find the governor but there is a rod that disappears between the fuel tank and the motor. I can't see where it goes. The picture you posted doesn't have a fuel tank on it so it I'm guessing its the same. The stop button just goes to the motor there are two small wires that come out of the motor you can see them next to 72V sticker. I did a little research into what a rectifier does and basically it turns AC into DC. So I'm guessing the three big wires coming out are AC. The start button just goes into the controller. So I'm guessing since there is no external starter. When you press the start button it converts DC to AC and pushes power into the Generator turning the Generator into a motor to start the Engine. However right now pressing the start button does absolutely nothing. Inside the controller there must be some sort of reverse rectifier that turns DC into AC to do this. But I'm guessing. Sorry the pics are a bit fuzzy my camera doesn't like the cold. Wish I had a heated workshop. The Ammeter is supposed to be delivered before 9Pm tonight. Thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
you can't see (picture is to fuzzy) but the the three big wires coming out of the generator go straight to the rotor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Great, an ammeter!
Do you use the red stop button to shut the engine down?
Does rod #1 or #2 move back and forth freely with a slight springy motion?
View attachment 8751
Yes I use the red button to stop. It works fine. The rods move and are springy. Also when I lightly pull on the rods it revs up. Still waiting for Amazon to deliver the ammeter and once it gets here I have to figure out how to use it ;-).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes I use the red button to stop. It works fine. The rods move and are springy. Also when I lightly pull on the rods it revs up. Still waiting for Amazon to deliver the ammeter and once it gets here I have to figure out how to use it ;-).
Sounds like they are connected to a governor, good.
What about the Black lever the arrow is pointing to, is that the Choke?

What ammeter did you order?
Just turn it on, select DC current and clamp over one single wire going to your heater. If it reads -DC amps, just turn it over and it will read +DC. That will be the load the heater is drawing.
To check how many amps the generator is putting out, clamp it over the black wire going from the generator to the battery.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is that a wire, circled in yellow? What is the red wire to the right connected to?
I would like to see details on how your start switch is wired. We can solve the auto-start issue later after we get the voltage/current problem resolved (I hope).
Was a wiring diagram included with this? Are you tired of me yet?;)
Wire.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Good Morning. Still waiting on the ammeter. It said before 9pm and then at 8:50pm the date changed and now its supposed to be delivered today ugh. Anyways the wires you asked about are hard to see in the picture but they just go t the stop switch. It didn't come with a wiring diagram but I created this one. It came prewired to the rectifier but I saw in a picture yesterday they had the yellow and green switched. I'm scared to change it.
Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good Morning. Still waiting on the ammeter. It said before 9pm and then at 8:50pm the date changed and now its supposed to be delivered today ugh. Anyways the wires you asked about are hard to see in the picture but they just go t the stop switch. It didn't come with a wiring diagram but I created this one. It came prewired to the rectifier but I saw in a picture yesterday they had the yellow and green switched. I'm scared to change it.
Thanks View attachment 8757
Nice diagram! Please do not swap any wires.
Sorry, been busy so far today.
Waiting for you to get your ammeter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Nice diagram! Please do not swap any wires.
Sorry, been busy so far today.
Waiting for you to get your ammeter.
Ok got my ammeter. Not sure exactly what I'm doing. But it only has one amp setting that's 600amps. It says it has autorange. Which is supposed to switch but I don't see it. I attached the generator to a dead battery and it didn't rev up. It just sat at idle. But these are the numbers from the ammeter. I put the clamp around the negative wire between the generator and Battery.
0.114 dead battery - no load
0.310 dead battery - load
0.140 full battery - no load
1.500 full battery - load
Guessing that's no where near 5000 watts. All were at idle.
Thanks yet again

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok got my ammeter. Not sure exactly what I'm doing. But it only has one amp setting that's 600amps. It says it has autorange. Which is supposed to switch but I don't see it. I attached the generator to a dead battery and it didn't rev up. It just sat at idle. But these are the numbers from the ammeter. I put the clamp around the negative wire between the generator and Battery.
0.114 dead battery - no load
0.310 dead battery - load
0.140 full battery - no load
1.500 full battery - load
Guessing that's no where near 5000 watts. All were at idle.
Thanks yet again
What Ammeter did you purchase? Does t have a selection between Ac or Dc?
The auto range function is standard.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The auto range is standard.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
270 Posts
Also remember that your 110V heater will only draw around 2.6 amps on high at 24V.
Maybe it is time to move up to your 180AH batteries for testing.
If they are low on charge with your range extender connected maybe it will attempt to put more current into the batteries to charge them and increase the RPM automatically.
Here is a chart for battery state of charge for your reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Nope still here. I thought I had the right ammeter and I thought it worked so I tossed the box etc. So no returning it. So now I'm getting another one. Just holding me up a couple days

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nope still here. I thought I had the right ammeter and I thought it worked so I tossed the box etc. So no returning it. So now I'm getting another one. Just holding me up a couple days
Great, I think our next project is to figure out how to place a large (maybe variable) resistive load on your two 180Ah batteries to see how the range extender reacts with a load that simulates what your boat motors would create.

I know there are a lot of people following this discussion so if anyone out there has any ideas, free to chime in. Come on guys, open for ideas!:geek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Great, I think our next project is to figure out how to place a large (maybe variable) resistive load on your two 180Ah batteries to see how the range extender reacts with a load that simulates what your boat motors would create.

I know there are a lot of people following this discussion so if anyone out there has any ideas, free to chime in. Come on guys, open for ideas!:geek:
I still don't have a large Dc ammeter yet. But I did haul it out to the boat. The big batteries were near dead. So I connected the generator up to the batteries for a while just running at idle (27 volts). The generator slowed a little but did charge the batteries rather quickly. 15v up to 24v in about a hour. I tried the electric motors off just the batteries first but they wouldn't turn. So I tried again with the batteries and the generator and the generator nearly died. So I tried turning them by hand something Ive always been able to do but they wouldn't turn. I think there frozen (winter). But the generator did not rev up instead when there was a large load it slowed down to near stall

·
Registered
270 Posts
I still don't have a large Dc ammeter yet. But I did haul it out to the boat. The big batteries were near dead. So I connected the generator up to the batteries for a while just running at idle (27 volts). The generator slowed a little but did charge the batteries rather quickly. 15v up to 24v in about a hour. I tried the electric motors off just the batteries first but they wouldn't turn. So I tried again with the batteries and the generator and the generator nearly died. So I tried turning them by hand something Ive always been able to do but they wouldn't turn. I think there frozen (winter). But the generator did not rev up instead when there was a large load it slowed down to near stall
Progress! Please disconnect the motors to protect them while testing.
From your description of the way the generator reacted (the fact that the generator is bogging down), it appears to be putting out current to charge the batteries
Once your ammeter arrives we will know more.

15V when you checked the batteries? That is not good for the batteries at all!
10% state of charge is at 23.02V. What was the battery voltage after you shut off the generator. I suspect it dropped way back down.

Letting the batteries set at that low voltage will kill them in short order.
Those batteries really need a charge to protect them from freezing as well.

Did you try manually increasing the throttle at all while connected to see if the voltage increased? It would be interesting to see how high the voltage gets while attempting to charge those dead batteries. If it got up to as much as 32V, I wouldn't worry.
Those batteries really need a charge to protect them from freezing.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts