Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a GP7500E from a guy who stated it wont run for $75. So I bring it home, check the oil, open the air cleaner (no filter, first indication of someone looking into it). Ether the carb, starts and runs popping out the carb and carbon on the choke butterfly and wont do more than a low idle.
Remove the plug to release compression, pull the valve cover/ rotate the motor and observe that the exhaust valve is ever slightly opening. At this point I have to see why the exhaust pushrod is not coming up. So time to breakdown. Remove gas tank and see that the Carb is MISSING the entire throttle assembly, butterfly and all (picture 1).
Drain the oil (thick smelly sludge oil)
Remove the gen and take the sump cover off and.... Picture 2 LMAO
Pull the cam PICTURE 3/4, not only is the exhaust lobe basically gone but the intake was on its way also as you can see the burrs on the edge.
The crank weights and other surfaces are crusty with rust that can be cleaned up. Now im always game for a challenge and Know I can get this motor running again, but when I did have it running as minimally as I did I should of checked if there was ANY voltage output, but didnt. So now I have to manually test stator and armature to make sure they are good. About $250 for all the parts all in if i repair $325 (not bank breaking), but really need to look at all parts to make sure if its worth it.

Registered
Yikes! 馃槻 They shoot horses, don't they? That was "rode hard and put away wet"...

• Haha
Reactions: iowagold

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes! They shoot horses, don't they? That was "rode hard and put away wet"...
Yeah, the common sense part says button her back up and sell it as a parts machine and then I have the devil on my other shoulder saying, "go ahead spend the money and make it run, you know you can" lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
northern too has those.
and check in with fly fisher
he is doing a project with a smaller gen head to 120 vac only.
Buying a new honda will make this way over its value. If i cannot find a dead gen with a similar power head i may just rebuild this engine. The piston and jug are perfect as the crank journal. I will clean up as much as i can and i know the one bearing for the pump or the gov (have to.look again is rough feeling so that will be replaced as well

Registered
with that much trash replace all of the bearings and seals
you might also look at the valve guides, seats etc.
lots of banging around happened..
expect the worse and be glad for the best! lol!

hey question what does an oem new replacement engine cost?
yea honda gx390 are 600 and up depending if you find a deal.
and taper shaft is always a thing to find....

i would call northern and see if the low cost engine there is avail with taper shaft..
just a thought..
they were only saying1000 hours life! no kidding!
if you were to build it for your own i would do the gx honda engine...

lots of black friday deals....
wow on some of the low cost gens deals...
going to be a lot of returns on those low cost gens this year!!
lol!

hey question what is the thd on the gen head??

Registered
In women this is called the "I can fix him" complex. Apparently you have some small part of that gene!

Premium Member
Yikes, that鈥檚 a mess. One warning, GP series alternators had a crummy waveform from my testing. Not the end of the world but something to consider in the grand scheme of things. Time, effort, cost鈥

Always like to see a good project though.

Registered
I would check Harbor Freight for an new engine. In my opinion, an engine is easier and cheaper to find than a Gen Head. Also, small engine repair shops might have a good used one with dead electronics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts