Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 6KVA Chinese generator , and it runt for almost 10-11 hours continuously without any break, the company preferred in its manual to use 10W-30... i was using it for around 1 month without any problem, but as i live in warm city, someone advises me to use 20W-40, bcoz they say that as the generator run continuously 11 hours, so 10W30 will be very thinner after 3-4 hours, so i should use 20W-40 ... im very confused, plz plz plz help with it... wat should i use, 10W-30 ( according to manual) or 20W-40 ( as my 12 hrs running of generator and living in warm place)
please reply me.

thank you

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have a 6KVA Chinese generator , and it runt for almost 10-11 hours continuously without any break, the company preferred in its manual to use 10W-30... i was using it for around 1 month without any problem, but as i live in warm city, someone advises me to use 20W-40, bcoz they say that as the generator run continuously 11 hours, so 10W30 will be very thinner after 3-4 hours
thank you
I spoke with a couple of engineers about this; they all tell me 10W-30 is fine in an air-cooled engine up to 105 degrees F ambient temperature. I would not use crummy, off-brand oil, nor would I use big-dollar synthetic either. I absolutely would change it every week. 10 hours a day x 5 days a week, yeah, that's kinda harsh. Even with regular oil changes, I would not expect most low-cost engines/generators to last very long no matter what kind of oil. How many hours does this generator have so far? Any problems yet?

[email protected]

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Go with the weight the OEM recommends and NOT the 20W-40 that you were "advised" to use. The 11 hours it will be running and the "thinner" aspect are irrelevant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts