Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're looking at generators now that we live in the south for hurricanes. The biggest load is our fridge, surging at 1356 watts. the few fans, tv and lights by my math bring surging watts to 2200 watts. I don't know the running watts of the fridge, but im guessing around 800. would a 4000 starting watt be enough for this. I've been looking at the Wen, and generac 4000 watt inverters. I see champion has a 5000 running watt inverter too.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
the bad part is the lower cost units are just that..
as a been there and done that...
save up and get a better gen set..
they hold resale value well.

wen is not that good.
champion the inverters are weak.. the numbers are really at 60% of the stickers

the generac is ok on the lower priced units..
but the inverter is not the same as the honda.. so count on 80% of rating as the real power.

Generac® iQ2000 1,600 Running 2,000 Starting Watt Gasoline Inverter Generator
Model Number: 6866 Menards® SKU: 2401208
and a bit more these
Generac® GP3000i 2,300 Running 3,000 Starting Watt Gasoline Inverter Generator
Model Number: 7129 Menards® SKU: 2401206

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
the heck of it is the fuel consumption is way more on the other brands...
and the wave form is not the same as it is on the honda eu series..

I would save up and get the real deal..
it is an investment..
think of it like a car..
sure a Yugo will get you from point A to point B..
but why not have a Chevy?...
a bit more in price but you can get it serviced and get parts easy...

so that is why I say hold out for the Honda Eu series genset.
watch for the rebates and deals at
and they also have good financing deals as well!!

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Used EU2000 or bite the bullet and get an EU2200.

I know you say its out of your price range, but maybe consider Honda Power Equipment Financing. The small inverter gen from the companies youve mentioned will only disappoint. All the same 79cc engines and a rated output that is slightly inflated.

The Generac GP3000i has a slightly larger engine then the EU2200 but for the same price... you dont get a chinese generator with questionable parts availability and a historically short life expectancy.

When it comes to large generators I'm an equal opportunity guy. The small ones.... Nothing else compares.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So we're looking at generators now that we live in the south for hurricanes. The biggest load is our fridge, surging at 1356 watts. the few fans, tv and lights by my math bring surging watts to 2200 watts. I don't know the running watts of the fridge, but im guessing around 800. would a 4000 starting watt be enough for this. I've been looking at the Wen, and generac 4000 watt inverters. I see champion has a 5000 running watt inverter too.
Well I live in south Louisiana and if you moving to the south you better have an air conditioner. No electricty and no AC after a hurricane is ****.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Well I live in south Louisiana and if you moving to the south you better have an air conditioner. No electricty and no AC after a hurricane is ****.
I agree!
fridge, freezer, and at least one ac unit to get rid of the humidity..
and if you use the eu2200i units you can add more of them later!
I have 4 of them here. so I can just use 1 or more in parallel with my special setup.

·
Registered
478 Posts
OK, so I hear the advice.
But.... I bought a Harbor Freight Generator in 2006.
Only needed it once in five or so years.
At the time it was the most KW for the buck.
It is still running without any problems today.
However, it has been taken care of and is in an outside permanant shelter.
So, I cannot knock a Harbor Freight generator even though it runs a Honda clone engine.
I sold it when I bought the 14KW Generac.
The Generac lasted 10 years before it died.
In the late 1980's my buddy bought the Honda ES6500.
He got lung cancer, passed and now I have it.
I added a NG/Propane unit to it.
35 years and it still is a great generator.
Looks new and runs like a champ.
So, the advice is just that...advice.
But for sure if you are buying agenerator for a standby power giver, you had better buy a good one to start with.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
57 Posts
I only recently picked up the Wen 56235i and for the price, it's a decent generator. I did test it to see how many watts it will output without it overloading and based on my watt meter, it was good at 1850 watts. I let it run for like 30 mins like that and it had no issues. I will say that when in ECO mode and it has to ramp up quickly, it throws out a puff of smoke and even when it's just running steady, it smells like it's running rich.

Oh.. I've got years of experience with the Honda EU2000. That things been abused and it still runs like a champ!

You really can't knock Honda generator outside of cost. With the WEN costing less than 1/2 and rated higher in output than the current EU2200, I couldn't pass it up. Band based on my short testing, it does output what they advertise. I just don't know how reliable it'll be.. but it does use a cloned Yamaha 79cc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Surprised it hasn't been asked, but whats your
1.Budget?
2.What weight class (if you say it like that) because If you can't move it, its gonna be no use to you no matter how good it is.
3.What fuel do you want to run on? Gasoline/LP/NG?

I would rather have room to grow, demand wise. You never know when the wife wants that double door commercial fridge. Lol

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Would a 2000watt gen be enough to start a fridge and/or freezer? Im guessing you couldn't run much else at the same time.
I can run the furnace, 1 fridge, 1 freezer, and all the inter net gear, and lights off of less than 2000 watts.
or one honda eu2200i.
so for winter months I only run the one unit.
I lock on the furnace fan during the run on generator to help smooth the air temps.
they are late model over under fridge and chest on the deep freeze.

summer is a different thing... air con is a BIG power thing...

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
1.Budget?
2.What weight class (if you say it like that) because If you can't move it, its gonna be no use to you no matter how good it is.

I would rather have room to grow, demand wise. You never know when the wife wants that double door commercial fridge. Lol

you are better off with the deep freeze.. they take less power!
lol and a lock on the fridge when the power is out!! LOL!!
I always say set up the gen as tri fuel!!
that way you select what you can get for fuel during a crisis ..
it will be hard to get parts fast during well lets go there..
a pandemic!! lol!!
so if you have the parts at least on hand. then you can convert..
but the best is to have every thing on the gens and all the system parts as well as spare parts.
and make sure you are covered for at least a year of hard parts. oil sparkplugs air filter etc.
always have one spare gen set ready as well!!
that way you can have some power for lights if the primary gen is down for repair.

budget will depend on what your comfort level is...
I was raised on basic camping.. a bag and a tent.. no air mattress etc.
but these days I like the basics, heat, cool, water, and lights, and basic entertainment.
last watts chart was 1200.
but that has changed as I run a few less things now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh we have several window a/c just in case our central air breaks, one is a 6000 btw that will easily cool a bedroom. i can't imagine going say 10 days with out it. we moved to naples after irma, and people said it was out about 10 days, and it doesn't start to cool down until maybe january.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1.Budget?

it was around $1,000. we actually settled with a champion inverter. 6250 surge, 5000 running. this thing is pretty light. a lot lighter than i remember 5000 watt generators being. I can't believe how quite it is. I asked her if she wanted a larger one to run anything else beside the fridge tv, a small ac and some lights. she said nope. we're also renting this house. so no big appliances...yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good evening I am new to this forum an super new with generator I received this generator ( pic below ) only pic I have , so my question is does anyone the brand of it an it’s capacity?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good evening I am new to this forum an super new with generator I received this generator ( pic below ) only pic I have , so my question is does anyone the brand of it an it’s capacity? View attachment 7790
Its a generac wheelhouse 5500 running watts and 8500 surge watts. 5 gallon removable fuel tank (take ot off and bring the entire tank to gas station). 45.8 amps at 120 volts and 22.9 at 240 volts
Heres some info links : Generac WheelHouse 5500 Generator Information | Homesteady

Attachments

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.