Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New on the forum and probably asking a dumb question but here goes anyway. For years I have always used regular gasoline in my power equipment. Lawn mowers, snow blower, pressure washer, generator, etc. Would it be safe and to any advantage to use higher octane premium gas in my equipment.:confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
New on the forum and probably asking a dumb question but here goes anyway. For years I have always used regular gasoline in my power equipment. Lawn mowers, snow blower, pressure washer, generator, etc. Would it be safe and to any advantage to use higher octane premium gas in my equipment.:confused:
The short answer is NO. Nearly all outdoor power equipment is rated to use regular unleaded 86 octane fuel. There is absolutely no performance gain by using higher octane fuel in an engine that does not require it.

Higher octane fuels that are required by some higher-performance cars and equipment that runs higher compression ratios. Using lower octane fuels in these engines can cause knocking (premature detonation). Many modern cars have on-board computers to sense this condition, and adjust the ignition to compensate and reduce knocking, as well as power.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your equipment is like most, it does not get used at least every 30 days. Modern ethanol fuels don't like to sit that long, and will quickly plug up carburetors. This will happen regardless of the octane. So, if possible, try and use fuel that does not contain any ethanol. If you have no other choice, be sure to fully drain all fuel from the equipment (including the carburetor bowl) if you expect it will sit and not be run for > 30 days.

[email protected]
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comeback Robert. I'll keep using regular fuel but I have one other question. How about the use of red Sta-Bil, blue marine Sta-bil or Seafoam. Do you recommend using any of these.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the comeback Robert. I'll keep using regular fuel but I have one other question. How about the use of red Sta-Bil, blue marine Sta-bil or Seafoam. Do you recommend using any of these.
Yes and no.

Sta-bil will preserve the fuel and keep it chemically stable for a period of time. With non-ethanol fuels, I've heard you can go about a year that way. However, with E10 ethanol fuel, not so good. Maybe < 90 days would be the maximum.

Seafoam is more of a cleaner not a preservative. It's good for reconditioning and cleaning a fuel system and does quite a good job. I've used it on my mower with good results.

All that said, I've had to rebuild and also eventually replace the carburetor on my mower due to fuel going bad. My rule of thumb now is if I think the mower will sit for > 30 days, I'm draining it or running it dry, and also draining the carburetor bowl. No fuel (treated or not) = no problems later.

[email protected]
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts