Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the mtd/sears/troy-bilt 4-stroke 29cc one and lets say i have a husqvarna 128LD now!

It was heavy and no rpms and if you held it WOT it would valve float! had it about 2 years and it started burning oil bad. like no more misqetos at my house bad. threw it away and got a 2-stroke.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Stihl Dealer advised me not to get a 4 stroke weed-eater when I was shopping for a new one. Said he has one, and is not satisfied with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have tried the four strokes and am impressed by the torque especially with a brush blade. They are also very smooth. Still I admit I am a troglodyte and hate change especially when the old way works so well. I love the 2 stroke simplicity and plan to keep my Echo as long as I can. Sure do miss the Lawnboy D-600:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I replaced a 2s Sears (Ryobi) with a 4s Honda, have not ever regretted going 4s. But Honda does build them good.
Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hear tell that the 4 strokes are not as loud as the 2 stroke machines.
Also, that the 4 stroke is powerful, and does well with the brush blades.

End result...... If you're only weed whacking the lil 2 strokes are great with the extra RPM's.
On the other hand if you've got some brushy areas where a blade is needed, then you need power. A 4 stroke is good for that purpose as is one of the larger 2 strokes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been running a Troy Bilt at work and taking down some pretty tall stuff. They got me a blade for it and it wasn't long before I removed it and went to a trimmer head with .095 line. The only problem I'm having is going through alot of line but hey, this stuff is like four feet tall and has stone at the base in some areas. I can't complain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Con...

The starter rope broke on my 4 stroke TB6042XP Troy Bilt and rather than being able to replace it, the entire starter cover assembly had to be replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Con...

The starter rope broke on my 4 stroke TB6042XP Troy Bilt and rather than being able to replace it, the entire starter cover assembly had to be replaced.
Yup; that coil spring can be a real bugger to re-wind. Much easier just to replace the assembly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well; it finally happened. This spring we've had continual showers, and grass galore. My old Ryobi bit the dust. Bought a Stihl FS56 R. Put it to work immediately, and it is a very good weed eater. I may go to a larger .130" line. The weeds have been so tough it eats up my .105" professional grade line. I got two brands, and neither one can take on too many weeds w/o having to add line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hear ya Sage, everything is growing like crazy this season. I'm happy that I finally got my 32cc McCulloch Power Pro running and my neighbor stopped over last weekend and said hey I noticed you're always doing something with a weedeater and gave me line that was in his garage he'll never use (big spool of .105), so I'm ready to tackle the overgrown stuff at my property line now.

I may also take that machine and line to work and use it there since the 4 stroke Troy Bilt that I spoke of highly earlier in the thread recently bit the dust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really love the power you get from a 2-stroke but the hassle of mixing the gas and oil as well as the maintenance just isn't worth it. Especially when you see the kind of power you get from some of the 4-stroke commercial weed eaters these days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find it funny people think something as simple as mixing gas is a hassle. Changing the oil on a 4 stroke is more of a "hassle". There is no maintenance on a 2 stroke that a 4 stroke doesn't have.
There is no advantage to a 4 stroke. They are heavier and you have to worry about cams, valves and timing chains. Not something I want on a high revving engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, for weed eaters and string trimmers I tend to like the 2-stroke ones as they are a little more powerful. Got myself a husqvarna gas powered weed eater last year and it runs like a machine.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts