Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm on the list for a 24 kw Generac, should be sometime in June according to the current backlog. Yeah, I know, there are better gens out there but it's the only brand sold and supported in my area. I asked the salesman this Q and he didn't know:

Our normal household usage in the heat of (SETX) summer is 3.3 kwh with a single 4 ton (14 EER) air system, all good except for one possible situation. I also have a 7.5 HP air compressor in my shop. My plan is to shut it down manually during extended hurricane outages, but what would happen if it cycled on while on backup? Could that kind of draw hurt the gen? Yeah, I also know they make electronic shut-off switches, but I'm curious as to the possibility of damaging the gen or compressor motor. Who knows, if the outage is long enough I may actually need it to run...

TIA!

Russ

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi All,

I'm on the list for a 24 kw Generac, should be sometime in June according to the current backlog. Yeah, I know, there are better gens out there but it's the only brand sold and supported in my area. I asked the salesman this Q and he didn't know:

Our normal household usage in the heat of (SETX) summer is 3.3 kwh with a single 4 ton (14 EER) air system, all good except for one possible situation. I also have a 7.5 HP air compressor in my shop. My plan is to shut it down manually during extended hurricane outages, but what would happen if it cycled on while on backup? Could that kind of draw hurt the gen? Yeah, I also know they make electronic shut-off switches, but I'm curious as to the possibility of damaging the gen or compressor motor. Who knows, if the outage is long enough I may actually need it to run...

TIA!

Russ
You can get a MicroAir EasyStart for the 4-ton unit to reduce inrush. Also, I would look into the 1800 rpm water cooled models if you're going that big. They are quieter, more reliable and can run for longer periods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts