Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So far my Champion open inverter has been running fine over my 12 hour break-in period…on its 3rd oil change after initial fI’ll. Changed this afternoon and very little visible metal in the oil, and the mag plug only had a relatively minor amount. So I decided to pull the plug and check it out. It was a bit problematic at first which concerned me... Then after close inspection…the valve cover was in the way making it difficult to turn…why did the knuckleheads design it this way…

oh well…managed to get it in…when I pulled it, the gap was set below spec range…so fixed that. Plug looked fine, maybe a tad darker than I expected but no oil or anything. All good, except for the bonehead design. Now I have to buy a thin wall socket. Great..

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
most of the time for service they want you to remove the valve cover and check the valve lash.
it might be a build in thing!

the deep well can wrenches work well for these just like on a chain saw.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
The chinsy stamped and usually included spark plug wrench’s actually work best in these circumstances.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The chinsy stamped and usually included spark plug wrench’s actually work best in these circumstances.
Oh….that’s a good thought I have a few of those lying around…one for my Tohatsu outboard….

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the 3.5 kw version of that inverter. The spark plug on my model is in an easy to reach space. First order of business was replacing the Torch plug that came with it with an NGK plug. Not long after I got it, I was able to use the outage after Ida to complete break in. It ran like a... er, champion. I had it paralleled with a Wen inverter of the same wattage and that combination easily ran everything we needed. As long as we had access to fuel, we could have been very comfortable for much longer had it come to that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im glad all worked out for you it must have been a **** of a time. 100% on the NGK. I have to drop by my local Napa to pick one up. Do you use the regular one or the Iridium plug?

I have the 3.5 kw version of that inverter. The spark plug on my model is in an easy to reach space. First order of business was replacing the Torch plug that came with it with an NGK plug. Not long after I got it, I was able to use the outage after Ida to complete break in. It ran like a... er, champion. I had it paralleled with a Wen inverter of the same wattage and that combination easily ran everything we needed. As long as we had access to fuel, we could have been very comfortable for much longer had it come to that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Im glad all worked out for you it must have been a **** of a time. 100% on the NGK. I have to drop by my local Napa to pick one up. Do you use the regular one or the Iridium plug?
We were much better prepared this time compared to longer outages in past years. We had substantial generator power as well as a way to cool rooms. Being able to keep the fridge going was a game changer. Overall, it made a huge difference in our comfort level. Being able to power the TV, modem, and router made passing the time much easier. We had natural gas to power the stove and water heaters. Being able to cook, take hot showers, and sleep in a/c goodness takes a lot of the sting out of days-long outages. Without a/c, the house would have become unbearable in a matter of hours. Two days would have felt like two weeks.

I now have NGK plugs in all of my small gas engines. I just use the regular NGK plugs since I run them all on gasoline. It's my understanding that if you are going to use LPG or LNG then it's best to switch to an iridium plug, although a regular plug will also work without issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts