Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a transfer box installed today and have the Pulsar 12000w dual fuel generator. From what I'm seeing, I'd need a male Nema 14 to male Nema 14 cable correct? I can't find one of those anywhere! Appreciate the help.
Gas Wood Circle Electrical supply Electrical wiring

Audio equipment Gas Technology Electronic device Machine

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a transfer box installed today and have the Pulsar 12000w dual fuel generator. From what I'm seeing, I'd need a male Nema 14 to male Nema 14 cable correct? I can't find one of those anywhere! Appreciate the help. View attachment 13090
View attachment 13089
Can not find that cord because they are illegal. What you have there is an outlet box as it has the female outlet instead of the male inlet connector. There is no photo of your load center but I suspect you are missing the interlock hardware. Swap that female for the male version and have an interlock installed before you try to connect a generator to your load center.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. He did say that he had to come back and bring the correct interlock kit but I thought that just went on the circuit breaker box? Is there a separate piece for outside? If so, why even have it as that specific connector that it is now?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can not find that cord because they are illegal. What you have there is an outlet box as it has the female outlet instead of the male inlet connector. There is no photo of your load center but I suspect you are missing the interlock hardware. Swap that female for the male version and have an interlock installed before you try to connect a generator to your load center.
Exactly what Columbotrek said. AKA suicide cord

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. He said that he wasn't done yet. Thanks for the help guys.
If the electrician had initially installed the correct male receptacle/outlet without the interlock being installed on the panel, then it would have been possible for exposed male prongs on the receptacle/outlet to become a shock hazard if someone flipped on the breaker while utility power was connected. That's probably illegal. But when the electrician left the installation in this not-quite-done state with the female outlet, it would at least be "legal" although useless as a generator connection.

Of course, its still possible to get shocked; but the user, rather than the electrician, would have to do something illegal like make a suicide cord to cause the hazard problem. In other words, if you goof up and get shocked, the electrician is less likely to be held liable.

I'm not familiar with generators this large. Personally, I would prefer locking 50A connections for a whole-home hookup. Your generator has a locking 30A, but it looks like a non-locking 50amp. Can anyone comment on the pros/cons for various applications?

·
Registered
111 Posts
That pulsar has a 50 amp connection. If the electrician installed a 50 amp breaker snd 6 gauge wire then the op can install a 50 amp gen inlet box. If the electrician installed a 30 amp breaker then the op needs a 30 amp cable and inlet box. Tons of options out there. They are inherently a twist lock. Many options for the gen inlet box ( and and on the connection on the cable ) will also have a plastic screw lock nut to help secure the cable to the inlet box.
Font Screenshot Camera accessory Audio equipment Cameras & optics

1 - 12 of 12 Posts