Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Use the oil that came with the generator. Put a medium load on it. You’re going to want to change it out at about the 5 hour mark due to the break-in material that accumulates in that first oil. Then change to a premium oil if you want to. Look for a small engine oil or a motorcycle oil in the viscosity recommended by Champion. I like the Amsoil Synthetic Small Engine Oil in 10w30 myself… And look for a magnetic drain plug on the internet. I like the Goldplug for my small engines, mostly Hondas here at home. Store your generator with no-E gas and stabilizer…😬

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not sure where you see it at $25…. No ethanol and gas stabilizer so that you reduce the chances of any gunk in the carburetor during storage. All kinds of threads on this forum. Good throne-room reading….

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well you paid less than the silly Amazon price, but now that you know what you have….keep an eye for some retailers that might sell it. Here in Canada some TSC stores carry it. My preference would’ve been the 10w30, but not a big deal. Seems Champion likes the 5w…

·
Registered
330 Posts
Using synthetic oil does not decrease the recommended oil change interval But in an emergency situation, it’s nice to know that you can keep the frig cold, because the Amsoil is good up to 200 hours. It would suck to have to shut down simply because you were over hours due to a lesser oil. Remember, generators are usually run in emergencies and it’s uncertain when everything returns to normal. Good idea to have spares and fuel for those situations…

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yep, everyone has their own opinion, preference, experience, flavour…. But, what if you really experience an emergency? Like an emergency that has an uncertain end with the possibility of dragging on for weeks. Besides fuel availability being the most urgent what about having the best maintenance items at the ready?! And a few spares to boot! Most of the folks here have experienced a power outage as an inconvenience. That’s usually not an emergency. When you’ve experienced days and sometimes weeks without power… now your fingers are crossed hoping everything holds up. That’s why some of us want the best to be ready for the big “what if.” Ask someone who’s been there… Then there’s the folks that live off grid. They also don’t take their equipment for granted, like most here do. They want the best because the cost of generating your own power is not cheap and the cost can be minimized by good fuel economy and equipment longevity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts