Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
The topic of engine oil seems to be quite personal. Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. The Amsoil is popular and a solid choice. In my area of the country, I've had good luck using diesel oil. My favorite is Chevron Delo 5w40 synthetic. I use Rotella T6 as well. That might be a bit heavy for colder climates. Diesel oil is getting very hard to come by. There are now lots of shortages and it's gotten extremely expensive. Whatever you settle on, you might want to pick up a supply to last a while. Other oils may also become scarce as supply issue continue to worsen.
Its real hard to get rotella right now.
Hello, I just bought the Champion model #200973 3650-Watt Dual Fuel Generator and I'm wondering about the oil. Initially I had thought about going with a synthetic oil due to a slightly wider temperature operation range and I posed a question to Champion support with that in mind, which by the way they have fantastic support I'll post their response below. I since have changed my mind (I think) and will probably just stick to a standard 10W-30. I haven't put the oil that came with it in yet and I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a different oil, a "better" oil? Maybe something from Castrol that I could leave in instead of flushing after the break in period just to go synthetic. I'm new to this and unsure what would be the best. Any suggestions?

View attachment 10423
During the initial five-hour break-in period, we recommend using standard 10W-30. This type of oil makes it easier to seat the rings of the piston. Once the break-in period has been completed, be sure to flush the oil. You can then use the 5W-30 synthetic oil thereafter.

During the break in period stay at or below 50% of the running watt rating and vary the load occasionally to allow stator windings to heat and cool. As with all new engines, the piston rings and cylinder need to be broken in. This is important for the newly manufactured cylinder wall and rings to seat themselves.

It is not necessary to run the generator for five hours straight to do the break-in period. The generator can run for five hours over any period up until they reach those five hours.

Climate and ambient temps is important for engine weight.
Where do you live? What’s the climate like, what Season on the year do you have most of your power outages?

Brand and formulation is very personal for people. But the straight forward answer is a small engine oil specifically designed for power equipment is clearly the ”right“ choice in the long run. For break in simply by a conventional 10w30 and change it after running moderate load for a few hours.

I do 70% the rated load for 7 hours to make it simple.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Small engines have a common failure cycle usually ending with low oil level deaths.

Infrequent oil changes and/or insufficient oil promotes wear and deposits leading to oil consumption among other things which eventually leads to engine failure over time. All things wear out eventually but this a good way to accelerate it.

Power Equipment as a whole usually gets tossed due to what the engine is powering failing, and not so much the engine. Example: Pumps on a pressure washer, alternator on a generator, transmission on a mower.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts