Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 4000psi 4gpm pressure washer with a Honda 13hp gx390 engine. I had it serviced last spring because the pressure was low and sputtering. The shop installed a rebuilt pump but the pressure was pitiful. Nowhere near what it was when new. So they comped me what was supposedly a new pump, but again, the pressure was not where it should be. Better but not good enough.

I had them check it out again last week. They concluded that it was fine. I looked at the receipt and it said that it was putting out between 2800 to 3200psi depending on the tip used. Well that seemed to be a far cry from the 4000psi rating of the pump. But still they insisted that pressure range was normal. For the money I spent repairing this thing, I could have bought a brand new pump on ebay and installed it myself. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I'm gonna do!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...and I did! For $240.00 and free shipping, I ordered a new pump. That's about fifty bucks less than the last repair I had done. Tonight, after work, I pulled the old pump and installed the new one. Only took about an hour to complete with all the fittings and considering my lack of experience... not bad! :cool: Tomorrow I test it out. Got the pressure gauge all hooked up and ready to roll. Expectations are high.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...and rightly so, because I cranked it up this morning and the pressure gauge showed a nice 4000psi at full idle. It would drop down to 3700 to 3800 using certain tips but the overall increase in power was undeniable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes it's the stupid little things that get overlooked, but in this case... no. It was fully open. I have a sneaking suspicion that, even though the pump they installed was labeled at 4000psi, the manifold was for a pump with lesser pressure, say, somewhere around 3200psi. That's why they insisted that the pressure range of 2800 to 3200 was normal. But I don't even know if those parts are interchangable. But whatever the case, I won't be going back to that shop for any future repairs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts