Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning. I recently purchased WGen9500DF as hurricane insurance. My home Electrical panel had a 30amp breaker and outlet that the previous owner had installed for an emergency generator. I pulled that breaker and replaced it with a 50amp breaker, ran 6ga wire to a 50amp receptacle about 3ft away. This is where I plug my 6ga cable running to the 50amp outlet on the 9500. I could run my electric dryer, 240v, alone with no problem, my electric oven and burners, 240v,no problem, But when I try to run my 3ton a/c outside unit it flips the Main Circuit Breaker on the 9500. I have since learned about Inrush current so I suspect that is part of my problem but, I thought that having a 50amp outlet on the 9500 meant I would have 50amps available for load. But evidently not. My manual states the Main Circuit Breaker on the 9500 is a 40amp breaker. While researching this problem I found a reference to Wgen9500DF schematics on this site. Since my owner manual schematic did not show a 50amp receptacle I thought I would follow the link and see if my manual was the same as this site's link. I was surprised when the link referred to here on this site did show a 50amp receptacle in the schematic. From what I read here Westinghouse Customer Support is iffy. Which Support is exactly why I bought Westinghouse over Durostar. But here I am. So now I am asking if anyone has an Internet reference to better info on the WGen9500DF. I would like detailed specs/info on the Trip time and Trip amp load for the Main Circuit Breaker on the 9500. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I thought that having a 50amp outlet on the 9500 meant I would have 50amps available for load.
It means that the receptacle can handle 50 amps, but the generator only has 39.5A continuous @ 240VAC (peak/surge is 52A) output on gasoline. It is less on propane.

You will likely need a soft start kit for your A/C to work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Even with the larger generator, the Locked Rotor Amps can pull up to 100+ amps on start up. As Genknot said, a soft starter will get you there.

I have a 3 ton unit that was pulling 75 amps. Installed the soft start and now down to 25 or less.

Divide watts by the voltage and you’ll get the amp Capacity. The receptacle can handle 50 amps, but doesn’t mean that it can continuously put out 50 amps. The 50 amp plug is a good thing as it allows you to safely use all the energy being produced by that genset, where the 30 amp is really good for up to a continuous 7,200 watts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It means that the receptacle can handle 50 amps, but the generator only has 39.5A continuous @ 240VAC (peak/surge is 52A) output on gasoline. It is less on propane.

You will likely need a soft start kit for your A/C to work.
It just seems a bit false advertising to hype the 50amp outlet, instead of listing the actual load specs as you did. But that is my bad, insufficiently researching the "actual" specs. Thank you for the info. Can you tell me where you got the specs, 39.5amp run/52surge? Also do you have any experience of what the EasyStart 364 can reduce Inrush/surge current? LRA on my compressor is listed as 88 amps. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I doubt there was any intentional deception there. They say that to tell you that you'll need a 50A hookup.

But more importantly, you can't buy a "39A" plug or receptacle... it doesn't exist. More common ones are 15A, 20A, 30A, then 50A. A 30A receptacle is too small for 39A so the logical workaround is to use a 50A receptacle.

The 39A is derived using the formula: Watts/Voltage = Current

9500W / 240V = 39.58A

·
Registered
926 Posts
Can you tell me where you got the specs, 39.5amp run/52surge?
From the link I provided in post #2. Click on Specifcations.
Font Number Handwriting Parallel Document

Also do you have any experience of what the EasyStart 364 can reduce Inrush/surge current? LRA on my compressor is listed as 88 amps.
It will vary a little depending upon the exact model (not all 3-ton units are alike). But you could expect 50-70% reduction in compressor starting current.

If you achieved the low end (50%) then that would put you at 44A startup current. The gen should start the compressor unit without issue even if running on propane. However, you do have to take into account any other loads you might have connected to the gen because that reduces the current that is available to start the A/C.

You may have to start the A/C first before applying any other loads. Then you may have to remove those loads to start the A/C again later. Let's hope that you achieve more than 50% reduction in A/C starting current so that you won't have to babysit the loads in order to run the A/C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the link I provided in post #2. Click on Specifcations.
View attachment 12671

It will vary a little depending upon the exact model (not all 3-ton units are alike). But you could expect 50-70% reduction in compressor starting current.

If you achieved the low end (50%) then that would put you at 44A startup current. The gen should start the compressor unit without issue even if running on propane. However, you do have to take into account any other loads you might have connected to the gen because that reduces the current that is available to start the A/C.

You may have to start the A/C first before applying any other loads. Then you may have to remove those loads to start the A/C again later. Let's hope that you achieve more than 50% reduction in A/C starting current so that you won't have to babysit the loads in order to run the A/C.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts