Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this last week. Did normal start up things such as filling with gas and oil. Ran the generator for 15-20 minutes with no load. I hooked up several implements (leaf blower, heat gun) nothing that would overload the generator or the outlet. The leaf blower requires an extension cord while the heat gun is direct plug in. What happens is the generator produces power for 45 seconds roughly and then no power for 15 seconds, during the 15 seconds the data screen is scrambled. After the 15 seconds are over the power returns and then repeat. Any advice would be helpful. I really do not want to go through the headache of a return.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sorry, but it sure sounds like the warranty route is the way to go...

Also, that model has THD as high as 23%, so it's not the cleanest power maker. The failure rate for new units also seems high.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I guess for me it is are you plugged in to the same outlet set???
or using the one next to it as in side by side?
a balanced load is always a good idea.
all of us gen users struggle with this on job sites..
in a home backup with a transfer switch it is a big thing to be balanced for long term run times..

yea a low cost gen set is not the way to go...
save up and get a honda… an eu7000is is way better in the depend on for your life style gens.

better quality and better power as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just using one outlet at a time. I've used many other generators and only had one thing plugged in and had no issues like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul, I do agree that Honda makes a superior generator, I guess I was depending on the long lasting name of Westinghouse to provide a decent product. After looking at the product, its not even American made anymore (Vietnam). How would one compare Generac to Honda?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul, I do agree that Honda makes a superior generator, I guess I was depending on the long lasting name of Westinghouse to provide a decent product. After looking at the product, its not even American made anymore (Vietnam). How would one compare Generac to Honda?

·
Registered
198 Posts
not the same Westinghouse
just a name
and not even close...
it is like buying a transistor radio back in 1960 from japan...
not as good as the japan stuff is in the late 1990's
the stuff coming out of some of those places unless the parent company is like honda where they camp out in the mfg plants the products suffer in production from what the engineer's put in the prints..
things like not skimming solder pots or poor solder connections on pcb's
these days with potted boards it is a BIG deal..
one shot to get it right..then there is the wire size issue..
some of the new stuff is not solid copper wire..
that is showing up in house wiring..
copper clad aluminum to save cost..

best to save your money and buy the real deal gen set..
the chonda offerings are not there yet...
give them another 5 years in production...
then as a maybe... or at least I will look at them again..

the bench mark testing on a load bank is my big test here...
look with a spectrum analyzer at the power and surge spikes and dips...
there is a BIG difference in power on the inverter units...

lots of hash on even the Yamaha inverter gens compared to the honda..
I run radio and computer gear with the gens so it has to be good power...

the big thing is the side by side comparison on the clean power for me.
money is not the real question...
2 times the bucks.. but 5 times the quality!!
that is why Honda eu series of gens is a better choice.
the eu7000is has the gx390 engine with an updated fuel injection.
so not need for re jet for altitude changes. or humidity and temps.

although I would buy the optional breather heater kit for all of the gen sets.
for when running in the cold. it is cold here in Iowa winters.
and you could put a lighted switch on the front panel for the heater.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As to the OP's Q about 'how does generac compare?'... In the industrial world Generac wasn't a top-tier provider; they needed to compete against big names -Onan; Caterpillar; Detroit Diesel; et al- and did so by cutting here and there. In the world of small generators, however, they can compete; generators is what Generac does. Even though Generac outsources for engines and such, you'll likely get a better product.
My only real world experience with Generac is my buddies 22kw NG unit (derate to 19kw). It has powered his house flawlessly for over three years now. We tested it to ~17kw, but only for about 15 minutes. Still, we couldn't discern any issues. Also, it's surprisingly quiet.
As Tabora suggested, the THD on your Wgen is not something I'd want my sensitive electronic stuff running on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would like to upgrade my cheap generator similar to this one, with the improved AVR and plenty of power, even though its rarly used. But spending £2000 is a bit extreme on a generator that rarly gets used, I guess it will last forever though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts