Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
Any one on here experiencing starting problems with the WGEN 12000 DF Westinghouse generators , got one that's brand new and starter is not engaging into the flywheel , westing hour has sent us 2 starters and stated there is a problem now there wanting us to take it to a service center for repair , not easy to load 350 pound gen set plus closet service center is about 70 miles , not happy with Westinghouse at the moment.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It might just be a weak battery. Cou;d've sat in the store for months before you got it. Try charging the battery overnight and try starting it again in the morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might just be a weak battery. Cou;d've sat in the store for months before you got it. Try charging the battery overnight and try starting it again in the morning.
Just trying to find out if anyone on the forum has experienced this problem , Purchased unit in Feb. Battery is good starter bendix is not engaging into the flywheel has not damaged the flywheel but it will eventually if not corrected , it doesn't do it every time but makes a terrible sound when it does , all wired in as a home backup in a generator house , here we are in storm season and don't really want it in a shop for god knows how long .

·
Registered
246 Posts
Starter gear teeth dont have enough room to mesh with flywheel ring gear somehow.
Can the starter be shimmed away from the ring gear? Some car starters can do that.
Other strange thing could be the flywheel ring gear is damaged badly. Are the teeth edges smooth or like peened over?
Could be one or 2 spots on ring gear is damaged, might be able to clean that up with a file.
Another possibility (remote one), the engine bearing worn too loose allowing flywheel starter ring gear to get too close to starter drive gear.

You might be able to remove the engine cowl cover, and view the interaction of starter drive gear with flywheel starter gear and see what is going on.
You can take a metal file and clean up the gear.
And grab flywheel and see if it can lift up like too much play in the bearing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Another possibility, the flywheel is not fitting properly on the tapered crankshaft journal, could be flywheel nut came loose and is allowing flywheel to rock around misaligning its gear teeth to the starter drive teeth.
I have rarely seen how the flywheel itself , the tapered bore is damaged and does not fit properly anymore to the crank.
See if it is tight and also has no runout, look at flywheel edge as it spins, should not move in and out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another possibility, the flywheel is not fitting properly on the tapered crankshaft journal, could be flywheel nut came loose and is allowing flywheel to rock around misaligning its gear teeth to the starter drive teeth.
I have rarely seen how the flywheel itself , the tapered bore is damaged and does not fit properly anymore to the crank.
See if it is tight and also has no runout, look at flywheel edge as it spins, should not move in and out.
Ring gear looks fine , Westinghouse is now saying the same thing mis alignment of starter and ring gear and setting up for us to take it to authorized repair center , one main reason for my purchase was the available service centers come to find out the three in our area have permanently closed but still listed on there website , now closet 1 is about 100 miles , they won't like me after tomorrow.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It might be cheaper/easier to take it to a local small engine shop. Especially if you have experience with someone local. Just might not be worth it to drive 400 miles for a freebie that’s not really free…😉

·
Registered
246 Posts
Something odd must be off to prevent the starter drive from meshing properly.
Depending on how the starter mounts, it might be possible to use a small thin metal shim. for example if a round bore place a short shim on the bore edge to force the starter drive gear end further away from flywheel ring gear. May only need 10 or 20 thousands". Since I cant see what it has, I cant really help, but a little ingenuity can fix a lot of things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well pretty obvious there's a problem with this model generator , Westinghouse replaced the unit picked up and delivered another one to us on the 4th start cycle it did the same thing
Pretty Sad situation !!! WGen 12000 DF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes
did the replacement include a new starting battery?
new unit we uncreated assembled , charged battery , filled with oil , started unit ran for about 10 min killed it hooked it up started it checked power out put all good killed it restarted it again ran for 5min maybe forth start did the same thing , 5th time started rite up , Westinghouse is aware of the problem but apparently hasn't got it resolved .

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes

new unit we uncreated assembled , charged battery , filled with oil , started unit ran for about 10 min killed it hooked it up started it checked power out put all good killed it restarted it again ran for 5min maybe forth start did the same thing , 5th time started rite up , Westinghouse is aware of the problem but apparently hasn't got it resolved .
Ok, at least it is working better than the other one. I would keep testing the starting and see after 50 cranks how often it fails. You dont have to actually start it, just test to see if the starter drive engages the engine without grinding. Keep dong that and keep the battery charged.

Looking at online reviews they are all 4 and 5 star mostly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i don't have any problems, just got mine last Tuesday.
running house and 3 AC units, pulling 9.83kw on propane. generator charges battery while running.
also ran with 3hp well pump running and two AC units, prior to installing meters.
Gadget Camera accessory Audio equipment Electronic instrument Line
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes

is the ring gear integeral to the flywheel, or is it heat shrunk on? i wonder if it is moving back and forth, perhaps the bolt wasn't torqued to the fly wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased this same model generator in March 2022. it behaves exactly the same way, starter will not engage ring gear on about every 4th try. Have you found any resolution to this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts