Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello first time here. I’ve searched the site looking for an answer but haven’t found one. I purchased a wen 3800 watt inverter generator a couple years ago. I followed the break in procedure and ran the generator till the tank was empty. Ran great all was well. So when I take it on my first camp trip I found that the generator will start to hesitate then die. When I got home I ran the generator without a load and it did the same thing. The time it takes to hesitate and turn off is random. Sometimes it will run one hour then just hesitate and die. I disconnected the low oil sensor to see if that was the issue, but it still eventually died with that unplugged also. I’ve tried running it with the fuel cap off, still dies. I do notice that the overload light will come on when it dies even when there is no load. It seems like an electrical bug, but I’m not too familiar with these small engines. Any ideas?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a fuel issue? IE - carb (jet, bowl, etc), fuel line?

How long was it sitting between your "running dry" and your "camp trip"?

Also - how easy is it to start (or not)? If it is very difficult or starts randomly - I would question the spark plug.

I've had both issues with small engines. Recently, we got a new Champion 5500w inverter, dual fuel, and it was very difficult to start. I thought it was fuel as the fuel i had was sitting around a while. I drained it and put fresh stuff in. It did the same thing. Turns out it was the spark plug. I used the spark plug from my other inverter gen (Honda EU2200) to test the circuit. It won't fit the Champion, but I could still put it in the circuit out of the cylinder and see that the spark was consistent - whereas the original Champion was very intermittent.

Outside of these 2 issues, it probably is an electronic issue - like sensor or control board.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sat for a few months. I did start it in between so I wouldn’t have any issues. Fresh fuel with fuel stabilizer in it. I ride dirt bikes with carbs so I know how finicky these engines get with fuel. It starts very easy and usually runs real good for at least 45 min. I actually changed the spark plug just for the **** of it, but still happens. If the problem is electrical what part could be causing this? I mean probably not a bad wire or something right, because it runs good for an hour at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn’t see that last part you put in about sensor or control board. Any chance the ignition coil would cause this? Or whatever the part is that’s connected to the spark plug, not sure of the correct name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After it dies, if you immediately try to restart it, is there spark? If not, then it could be that the coil is failing once it heats up.
I’ve haven’t checked that. I have noticed that it has a difficult time restarting right after it dies. If I wait 10-15 minutes I can start it back up. I was searching for a new coil and I think they are like $12. I might just buy one just to be sure.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
yea the spark coil is a good place to start.
make sure it includes the spark boot as well.
there has been a bunch of bad spark caps in the last 5 years in all brands.
i like to use a dab if dielectric grease as well on all of the electric connections to hold back corrosion.

the little gens catch heck in use.... and storage is the worth thing as well.
unless you store in an area that is climate controlled.
and dry.
we use air con units in the gen shacks that have a heat strip for winter.
and insulate for noise as well as temps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've seen fuel liked crack on het inside & have the rubber fold inside like a door & shut off teh fuel & kill the motor . WHen restarting there is no pressure so the rubber door opens up . It's random when it does this , could be every 5 minuites or 4 hours . I chased that on a old truck for a week till I figured it out .
animal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts