Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stihl f36z weedeater. It is a bit of an older model but still works fine and true till this day. The weedeater will crank and work just fine but once it runs for several minutes and is turned off it cannot be cranked again unless it sits for about roughly 30 minutes. Afterwards the weedeater will crank and work again flawlessly until it is turned off or runs out of gas. On a side note when I try to crank it after it is turned off the crank string/cable seems to be slippery as if it is not getting enough traction. Any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you mean it is hard to pull until it cools off? That would indicate a damaged piston and cylinder which means deep sixing the machine. From your description of the starter being 'slippery' I would suspect internal damage. If it pulls normally but is hard to start when hot try enriching the hi speed a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean it is hard to pull until it cools off? That would indicate a damaged piston and cylinder which means deep sixing the machine. From your description of the starter being 'slippery' I would suspect internal damage. If it pulls normally but is hard to start when hot try enriching the hi speed a bit.
The exact opposite actually. When the weedeater is hot the pull cable seems even easier to pull. Also what do you mean by "enriching the hi speed"?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have you checked the muffler’s spark arrester screen? It can get clogged and cause the machine to over heat from exhaust not exiting or not perform from back pressure. If the screen is clogged with carbon, a light amount of heat from a cigarette lighter or fire starter and wire brushing will make them like new.

This is a very inactive site!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I suggest that the next time it does this, loosen the gas cap. You may have a tank that no longer vented to the outsider air. If there is a vacuum created, gas will not flow.

BG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts