Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ryobi 3100 PSI pressure washer. Below are the specs.
  • Engine: 187cc Honda GCV190 4 Stroke Engine
  • PSI: 3100
  • GPM: 2.5
  • Pump: Axial Cam
  • Hose Length: 25’
  • Maximum Inlet Water Temperature: 104 °
  • Weight: 65 lbs.
While trying to pressure wash my house/siding, my water inlet hose coming from the spigot on the house, supplying the water to the pressure washer, blew the hose and the crimp right off of the barb. This was a heavy duty no kink hose. I wasn't sure why this happened so of course I went to get another hose that was a regular garden hose, not heavy duty. After a few minutes, this hose ruptured near the connection to the pressure washer.

Both of these happened while the pressure washer was idling. This particular pressure washer has an "idle down" feature. I've searched and searched and I cannot find a solution to this problem.

I've taken the pump off and plan on disassembling it to see if theres a reason why the pressure would somehow make it to the inlet. Thanks in advance for any help! It's much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Both of these happened while the pressure washer was idling.
How long was it idling? Your thermal relief valve may be stuck or malfunctioning? Idling a pressure washer with no flow causes the water to heat up pretty fast, and would quickly take out a hose that was not rated for high temps if the TRV failed to release. You didn't provide your model number, but here's the warning language from my manual for a very similar unit:

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
do a rv inlet water pressure gauge to see how high the pressure is getting...
and use a contractor grade 3/4 hose.

shut down when you are moving ladders or basket machine etc.
we always use a ground crew when washing for that safety thing.
to help with hose wrangling and just safety watch.

we try to not use ladders any more as the risk of getting blown of a ladder is too great!
so basket machines work the best.

an rv high flow or high gpm pressure regulator with a blow off works well for the inlet pressure.
we have those on all of the large washers here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.