Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just recently I received a PW from my sister before she relocated out of state. It worked fine. Then one day as I was using it it stopped working. So I toyed with it for three days straight and could never get it to restart again. So upon pulling the valve cover I found that the plastic cam inside had broke. So I pull the motor off the frame and just start tearing it down. Get it all tore down, parts ordered. Once I got the new parts then I proceeded to put it all back together. Got it all back together and now the moment of truth. Couple good pulls and it fires. However the RPMs seemed kind of low from before. I could use it but I always had to have the gun activated, then over time it would eventually die and not want to run again. So I did some research and people keep saying to adjust the governor so I did, and man, I thought I was going to blow my motor. The RPMs shot up so high. I cant seem to get the adjustment right and I am not trying to pay $150+ to have someone fix it. What is the easiest way to fix that. It also looks like my throttle is constantly wide open. I have all the linkage and springs in the correct spots it seems by all the pictures I have seen. When it runs wide open I grab the governor arm and move to what would be my left and it slows the RPMs down to a more manageable speed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
the Govemer should not have needed adjustment from a cam replacement. How far did you “tear down” the engine? Did you split the case And do the belt or just replace the cam.Did you happen to set the valve lash while you were at it?

The proper base governor setting is the throttle held wide open with the governor shaft fully clockwise.

Remove the gas tank, Loosen the pinch bolt. Hold the throttle wide open. I think it’s to the right. Then using a pair of pliers turn the output shaft of the governor clockwise and snug the pinch bolt. (The shaft has a sweep of of only a few degrees)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I broke the case to not only do the belt but also clean out all the broken cam pieces down at the bottom that were in the oil. I have tried exactly what you said about the turning the output shaft clockwise as far as it goes still same result. Yes I also set the valve lash to spec.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts