Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,413 Posts
I thought it had electric start
No, it doesn't have electric start. I did not want to have that because of the maintenance of the battery and also other stuff to fail. The more complicated the generator, the more stuff to break. And, it also adds a considerable amount of cost to a gen.

one of the comments about the pull start failing
Probably operator error. I have seen people that pull ropes all the way out...totally unnessary. These pull starts are just like any of the others on the market.

If you keep a can of starter fluid on hand, these gens will virtually always start on the first pull. With proper maintenance they will usually start on the first pull without resorting to starter fluid anyway.

· Registered
455 Posts
I make my own magnetic drain plugs (again, this WEN does not have a drain plug, so N/A) using cylindrical magnets
I'd like to attempt this one day, where would one find such a magnet? (I dont do ebay)
the comments about the pull start failing and the replacement also failing cause me to feel uncomfortable about it.
Recoils and ropes are a breakable yet fixable/replaceable item, it happens. Now if you were to see 6 or more recoil failures that would be enough to warrant some concern. When it comes to reviews, I doubt a person can find 100% satisfaction with about any item on the market these days.
(Just a suggestion, you may already be doing so), when I look to reviews (on anything) I look to the 'Most Recent' not the 'Highest or Top Rated' reviews'.

· Registered
725 Posts
Sorry, it takes me a while to give in to spending extra money…..a gen hopefully to last the rest of my life

Well a Honda of suitable size and type is my suggestion. But I’m a huge Honda generator fan and so I’m extremely biased. Never had a Honda let me down….from new to 35 years and older. Buy once, cry once…Take good care of it and Grin at resale 😉

· Registered
1,413 Posts
where would one find such a magnet?
I bought 6mm X 20mm magnets off of eBay...
But you can get them from Amazon too...

· Registered
1,413 Posts
@LaSwamp One thought about the magnets falling out...
I don't think I have read about a instance where they have come out of a steel plug. All the ones I heard about came out of an aluminum plug/dipstick. They almost hold themselves into a steel plug without epoxy...but use the epoxy anyway!

· Registered
565 Posts
I went with Honda for my backup power, running on a 240V 30A interlock setup. I just recently added a battery backup, so now for short outages I don't even need to get the Honda out of the garage. For longer outages, I'll use the Honda to recharge the batteries. When connecting the Honda, I just need to disconnect the output of the inverter. The input to the inverter is always disconnected unless it is charging from utility power or from the generator in which case it is never feeding the panel.

Font Engineering Parallel Machine Diagram

Honda EU7000is
Growatt 12k Hybrid Inverter
(4) Lifepower4 48VDC 5.12kWh batteries

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you keep a can of starter fluid on hand, these gens will virtually always start on the first pull. With proper maintenance they will usually start on the first pull without resorting to starter fluid anyway.
The things you've explained do make sense it just takes me a while to get used to new ways of thinking about stuff. Maybe a good idea to buy a replacement pull cord to have handy and hope never to need it? What sort of maintenance, or does it say in the manual? Also from what I've read there is a break in of 2 hours(?) running without a load then change oil. I'm guessing that's explained in the manual but if there's a thread covering that and tips about specifics I'd like to read through it. Also about the magnetic dip stick: I guess that's to catch fragments of metal. Is there a real danger if the magnet comes off? I'm not much of a mechanic so from my ignorant position it seems the magnet should be too big to get carried back through the pistons (or whatever) so it should sit in the oil pan(?) until you find out it's come off the dip stick and then it can be retrieved with some piece of steel. Or is that an unrealistic way to think about the situation?

· Registered
1,413 Posts
Maybe a good idea to buy a replacement pull cord
It is never a bad idea to have spare parts laying around. But I think you may be obsessing over that comment on the WEN site. So let's break that down just a little bit.
Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Pattern

Notice that he broke two ropes. He said he was spending hours in 9 degree weather. He had used the gen before.
So, with that in mind, I believe that his problem was quite likely a failure on his part to properly store the generator. The gens need to be stored dry or wet...meaning with or without gasoline in them. There are procedures for doing it both ways, but if an owner does not store the gen properly then yes, you can pull on the rope until your arm falls off or the rope breaks.

What sort of maintenance, or does it say in the manual?
There is always maintenance on these gens just like a car. Oil changes, spark plugs, valve adjustments, etc. which is mentioned in the owner manual on page 24. The manual is here.
The manual does not discuss the valve clearances, nor does it discuss a break-in. They are not the only gen makers to leave some of the maintenance stuff out of a manual. I don't know if it is in error, or they don't want to scare away a potential buyer. But anyway, the Champion 100519 has the same engine and has the valve clearances mentioned as follows:
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Circle

Champion also mentions the break-in of the engine:
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Electric blue Number

For the break-in, 5 hours is the minimum that is recommended. A longer break-in (10-20 hours) is often done by some...it won't hurt it. The break-in is mostly about getting the pistons rings to seat. Using loads that turn themselves off and on automatically (crock pot, clothes iron, space heater, hotplate, etc.) is the easiest because you don't have to babysit it as much during the break-in. I increased the total load on the gen to about 75% (that is counting everything as ON at once) after the first oil change. I used special break-in oil on mine, but a non-synthetic 30W oil will get the job done. I do the first oil change at about 1 or 1-1/2 hours. Then do the rest of the break-in before changing over to full synthetic oil.

about the magnetic dip stick: I guess that's to catch fragments of metal. Is there a real danger if the magnet comes off?
There are particles that come off the engine parts that the magnet will hold so that they are not circulated in the engine. Most of the particles come off during the break-in, but there will always be some particles on the magnet throughout its lifetime. About the magnet coming off, that is extremely rare.

You can always come back to the forum and ask for specific guidance on any of these procedures.

· Registered
33 Posts
Looking around, I currently have rope/pull start on three chainsaws, a wood splitter, a bar trimmer, a leaf blower, and two generators. I know they can fail (my wife managed to mess up the rope start on her rototiller a few years back... but, bless her heart, she's pretty negligent), but in all the years I've been using pull-start equipment I've never had one fail.

Electric start can be glorious (albeit, coming with its own set of complexities, maintenance requirements, and failure modes). And there are a ton of reasons to decide a generator doesn't meet one's requirements. But I'd suggest that rope-start failure is way, way down the list of things that are likely to go sideways.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Like everything, the recoil is also subject to wear and tear. Use it too much, like if it's hard to start, it will likely wear out sooner than later. The same will probably apply with starters and batteries with engines that are poorly maintained.

There are exceptions to the rule. Some do have design flaws in them.... flimsy and/or brittle pull handles, cords easily frayed from rubbing against sharp edges, and plastic dogs/pawl that disintegrate.

That said, having both recoil and electric start raises your chances that if one should fail, you still have another way to start it.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
. . . having both recoil and electric start raises your chances that if one should fail, you still have another way to start it.
That's pretty much my thinking. Plus it seems the electric start would probably turn the motor over faster than you could pull, increasing the chances that it would start if it's feeling sort of sluggish or whatever.

· Registered
214 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a Honda EU2200i and had to pull start it when it was freezing cold last winter. I yanked that thing a half a dozen times or more. If I was away and had to talk one of my daughters through it, they would have never been able to start it. My new generator (WEN DF400i) is battery and it's worth it. Although I haven't tried the WEN in cold weather yet. I just read a review that says it no workie when it's cold. Great...

See the January 04, 2023 review. Comments? WEN DF400i Super Quiet 4000-Watt Dual Fuel RV-Ready Electric Start Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off

· Registered
106 Posts
My home is setup with a 30A breaker to receive power from a generator with an L14-30 male plug outside mounted to the dwelling to receive power from the cord from the generator. The generator is a Dyna 9000. In my ignorance I thought 9000 watts should allow 75A so I could beef up the inside breaker to at least 50A and change the plug on the generator from a 30A to some 50A type since the generator should be able to output 9000 watts or 75A and would still be safe enough to that extent. Not trying to push it just trying to have a bit more head room.
It doesn't sound like you need more than the 30A breaker you already have. But if you do decide to go bigger on this setup, please be aware that you can't just change the inside breaker to 50A. In addition, you will probably need to run a new cable from the breaker box to the outside plug because your existing cable is likely only 10AWG and you'd need 6AWG to run 50 amps. Sorry if this is totally obvious, but its an important safety consideration.

· Registered
455 Posts
I just read a review that says it no workie when it's cold.
That's dis-appointing. I was going over the manual and came across this...

Rectangle Font Art Handwriting Number

I'd find that to get old quick, especially if having to fumble around in the dark. If it doesnt have one already (manual doesnt state) I would most likely make up a battery quick connect.
Man, the manual makes that battery look small, I'm curious to the physical dimensions Robh.

· Registered
1,413 Posts
That's dis-appointing. I was going over the manual and came across this...
... the manual makes that battery look small, I'm curious to the physical dimensions Robh.
Yeah, the lithium batteries are small, but don't like getting cold. If the gen is not stored inside (like in the garage), then the battery must be removed and brought in to stay warm.

· Registered
214 Posts
When I get a moment I think I'll make a quick connect for it. I like the generator otherwise. I keep it outside under a covered porch near where I have my 30A inlet that goes into my electric panel. I'd rather not move the generator around much, especially during an outage or storm.

· Registered
455 Posts
comments about the pull start failing and the replacement also failing cause me to feel uncomfortable about it.
Nopeda, just to touch on the recoil one last time...I'm not saying you will, but should you ever break a recoil rope or the internals fail, they can easliy be re and re'd and/or replaced. Either by you or any typical OPE (Outdoor Power Equipment) shop.
As an example, I pulled this assembly out of my local dump late last summer. Someone threw it away due to the rope breaking. Being somewhat handy, replacing the rope was not a big deal.
As you can see, 3 small bolts hold it in place, while there are some models using 4.

Wood Grass Gas Automotive wheel system Wood stain

Wood Telephone Rim Telephony Automotive wheel system

21 - 40 of 50 Posts