Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the older one made by Troy Bilt (Super Tomahawn 8 HP) and my friend has that one made by MTD with the Troy Bilt name on it. The older ones are better but his does work. It doesn't work as fast or mulch/shred as well as mine. We had both workng in his yard after a storm doing clean up. Mine would do about 1 and 1/2 times the work of his. Tne nice part with the newer one parts are easily available for it. Mine parts sometimes are a bit harder to find but in the last couple of years several places have started making the flails and other parts for it again. When MTD bought Troy Bilt they didn't buy the mulcher division. Roger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for writing. the company being sold a few times explains the wildly different designs I'm seeing. What years are your and your friend's chippers?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine is a 1994 and hers is about a 2002 to 2004. They are very different designs. If you want I can take a picture tommorrow. Hers looks like the one in your photo. Roger

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not the best pictures but ithe chipper is buried in the garage for the Winter. I should have added above that Troy Bilt wasn't the original designer of this chipper but did make it better. The original company was called Tomahawk and they were green in color. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow...that thing is a beast. I haven't seen any of that size for sale. Most people are ditching their smaller ones of that vintage. Can't tell where you are, if you were local I'd make you an offer. ;) I think I'm going with that tomahawk, the priice is right and it's iin good condition.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It was $1400 new in 1994 and I am not sure I would sell it for that now. I have seen them in nice shape my area on CL in the $500 to $800 area but they not stay for long. Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts