Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a question about the ignition timing on gasoline generator engines.
From what I understand, in vehicle engines the timing is usually controlled by a distributor (old) or by electronic means.
My question is, what controls the ignition timing of a small single-cylinder engine for a generator in the few kW range?
Is this also electronic or still by distributor ?

Thanks,
C

·
Registered
112 Posts
Usually, small engines with a single cylinder have spark timing that is tied to the crankshaft or flywheel position associated with cylinder top dead center (TDC) via timing marks. There may be small adjustments available based on electrical or mechanical changes to these positions (sensors, set screws, etc.). Multiple cylinder engines will have more complicated timing systems to ensure all of the cylinders are working together and firing as each one reaches it's TDC position.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Iowagold has another take on timing of small engines as best I remember.
It goes like this: The spark plug gap has a direct effect on timing.
Maybe Paul will explain this spark plug setting and how the gap effects timing and to what degree.
His explanation was simple to understand and made sense.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hi all,
I have a question about the ignition timing on gasoline generator engines.
From what I understand, in vehicle engines the timing is usually controlled by a distributor (old) or by electronic means.
My question is, what controls the ignition timing of a small single-cylinder engine for a generator in the few kW range?
Is this also electronic or still by distributor ?

Thanks,
C
so conaga are you having a time issue???
or are you wanting to change time for fuel?

first things first what brand and exact model of engine?
exactly how much time do you need and what direction? advance (for fuels like natural gas) or retarded?
some engines are super easy to mod time..
others you need a machine shop if you need more than 2-4 deg...

pm me for one on one help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,

thanks for answering my post.

There's a video on Youtube which shows an interesting way of finding the ignition timing on small engines,
but it looks quite involving :

@iowagold thanks, I have sent you a pm

Cheers,

C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts