Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyone's thoughts on paralleling both legs of a split phase load center?

This would be to feed the 120v circuits that would normally be split from a single 120v source.

Obviously, nothing that runs 240v, or those circuits period, would be able to be on/run.

From a local power distribution scenario - I don't see any electrical reason why running both legs the same wouldn't work.

Thoughts?

One thing I did and ran this weekend is I made adapters from a 5-20P to an L14-30R then L14-30P to 14-50R to use one of my large extension cords. Then the device end drops back down from 14-50P to L14-30R then L14-30P to dual gangs of 5-20R duplex outlets (one gang per leg). The long cords and most adapters are all 6g with 14-50's - split phase. In this case - fed with a 120v source you can use either leg. If I only fed 1 leg of the L14-30R it would leave the other leg dead all the way through. That wouldn't be a huge deal, but in this case it would limit the outlets usable on the other end. Speaking of feeding a breaker box - the same deal with the outlets is at play - one leg fed means 1/2 the box is dead.

Of course, wattage/amperage limits always apply - you can't draw more power than what can be produced, but for light loads around the panel I don't see any issue in the workings of it.

I'm aware of the plug/receptacle conventions based on amperage and going up is one thing - starting from a low source to a heavy cable - but going down the other way - heavy cable to light outlets - is frowned upon, especially with a source that can drive higher power than the smaller outlets are rated to, unless a properly sized breaker is in the line before the lower rated outlet. I have plans for just that - but considering the 120v source being an EU2200i generator at the moment the generator can't drive the power past about 15 amps anyway, so in this specific scenario everything matches. The heavier cable allows less line loss than would a 120v extension cord of any gauge.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
just make sure to do redundant breakers for protection.
i use manual interlock here.
lol
it got ran this am!
yea big power outage here in town..
first longer one of the year.
i have a special setup on the quad system so i can have 4 of the little eu2200i gens if i need that much power...
most of the time i can run on just one gen set...
today i was ready to setup for two as it is hot out...
but they did good on the power restoration time here!
i was not out that long... but it was starting to get warm in here...
pm if you need details on the gen inlet.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I do it when I run my little EUs over night. I have a jumpered 5-20p to l14-30 adapter cord. Never an issue. Obviously double pole breakers get tuned off. Not ideal, but IF done responsibly…

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do it when I run my little EUs over night. I have a jumpered 5-20p to l14-30 adapter cord. Never an issue. Obviously double pole breakers get tuned off. Not ideal, but IF done responsibly…
ACWORKS has adaptors and helpful engineering staff. I use one of their adaptors and it runs both sides of the 240V (not turned on).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't been on the forums here for a good while and came back here to update another thread and saw this one also.

For what it is worth, I ran this the other day when I was prepping my old open frame generator. I put it in 120v only mode to get better power. There is no use for 240v at all with that smaller unit running so it is much more beneficial to run in 120v only mode to get higher amperage, however marginally higher it might be (not much on this unit, especially on Natural Gas).

In any event, the 120v on both legs of the panel works great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts