Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this Agway (MTD built) chipper shredder today. I got it from my moma's boss. He is cleaning out a Research facility at Duke university and has no need for the equipment that is there. So he giving me any thing that has an engine he comes across. I have a feeling I am going to be getting a lot more cool stuff in the next month or so.

The chipper shredder has a 5 horse power Tecumseh. I checked the gas tank and it was very clean. Pulled the plug and it could be replaced but was in very good shape. Overall this thing is in great shape.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to see I am not the only one that likes freebies. Going to try to get it running later today.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well today I installed a new fuel line on the chipper. Next I recoiled the recoil pull rope. Both of those tasks went well. Next I checked for spark. Right now I have zero. I changed plugs and still nothing. I guess I need a coil for this thing. The engine is a Tecumseh.

I did pull the tins and checked for critters. So far no one has not tried to make a home in my new project.

Oh I did pick up a Craftsman push mower out of the dumpster yesterday. The only thing wrong with it is the plastic bracket that holds the engine brake cable in place pops out of the handle bars. When that happens the brake is engaged and it makes you think the engine is locked up. Popped the bracket back in place. Checked the oil and added some gas to it. On the 3rd pull it fired right up. I guess I have good karma this week. Hope I did not jinx myself.:mad:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I'd try cleaning the coil and the magnets on the flywheel with sand paper. Does that engine have points? Or is it electronic? ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
that things gonna be handy if you get it going. Nice. And Tecumseh engine, you know it aint dead, it just needs some attention.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'd try cleaning the coil and the magnets on the flywheel with sand paper. Does that engine have points? Or is it electronic? ;)
That is also what I would do first. Noted for rusting enough to keep it from getting spark! Man, you are lucking out this week!:eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking on the fly wheel and it does not have magnets. I haven't really spent a lot of time on this project. I will check the points if it has them. I am not really sure though. It might have an electronic ignition. All I know is there is zero spark. So right now I am just trying to do the easiest thing first.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is also what I would do first. Noted for rusting enough to keep it from getting spark! Man, you are lucking out this week!:eek:
I wish I was this lucky every week.:D Heck in two weeks I am going to pick up my next tractor to add to the collection. If my luck keeps up I might have to build another shop to store all my stuff in.:eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this engine does have points. The bad thing is I am having trouble finding them.:confused: I think they are on the side of the engine with the carb and the exhaust. But I just can't find the points cover to remove to get to the points. I am starting to dislike this Tecumseh. Kind of wish it was a Briggs.:eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Breaker points are located under the Flywheel it looks like to me. Click the link and go to Engine Parts List #3 and it will take you to them. #241.
Parts and Diagrams for Tecumseh HS50-67088C
Thanks Sonny that diagram helps a lot. No wonder I could not find the points.
So I guess I have to pull the flywheel to replace the points? That looks like a lot of fun.:D

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I was looking on the fly wheel and it does not have magnets. I haven't really spent a lot of time on this project. I will check the points if it has them. I am not really sure though. It might have an electronic ignition. All I know is there is zero spark. So right now I am just trying to do the easiest thing first.
No magnets?? I'd look at it again... Never seen one that didn't...unless they're de-magnetized?:confused:

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
nice find i could use one of those. i have done plenty of work on those tecumseh motors and the points are easy to change the flywheel comes off quickly just remove the nut then put a wood block on the end of the crank and smack it a couple of times with a hammer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No magnets?? I'd look at it again... Never seen one that didn't...unless they're de-magnetized?:confused:
I will pull the tins back off in a couple of days when it is cooler and check again. If the magnets are there they must be small compared to the ones on my 16 horse Briggs. Maybe they have a light coating of rust camouflaging them with the fly wheel.:eek:

nice find i could use one of those. i have done plenty of work on those tecumseh motors and the points are easy to change the flywheel comes off quickly just remove the nut then put a wood block on the end of the crank and smack it a couple of times with a hammer
Very cool. Glad to here removing the flywheel is easy. The last flywheel I attempted was on my 16 horse Briggs. Needless to say the flywheel is still attached to the crank.:mad: I am so used to the points being on the side of the block like my B&S engines.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
One thing we haven't discussed or mentioned is the kill switch.. Not sure exactly the type that's on it, but it might be worth lookin into before you pull the flywheel.. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts