Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a 20 year old gererac 12k generator that has a ats built into a 12 circuit panel. It's not starting (not even turning over) starter just kicks in and clicks like it's a weak battery. So it got me thinking maybe it's just time to put a new one in. I installed this one and it was not a problem, but the new ones don't have the extended ats / circuit panel. They just have an ats with control modules. I have no idea how these things work or how they control what circuits they cover. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to set one of these up. I can buy one (from norwal or gen direct) for around 6k. Probably cost me another 4 to buy from a dealer and have them install it. Is it easy to do, or just let the dealer do it ? Plus I imagine doing it myself. Voids warranties.
What do you think ?
(Curently charging the old battery and maybe going to try jumping it from the truck to see if I have a bad battery or the starter is going bad)
Lord knows maybe something else has locked up and is stopping the motor from turning over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Currently I have a 20 year old gererac 12k generator that has a ats built into a 12 circuit panel. It's not starting (not even turning over) starter just kicks in and clicks like it's a weak battery. So it got me thinking maybe it's just time to put a new one in. I installed this one and it was not a problem, but the new ones don't have the extended ats / circuit panel. They just have an ats with control modules. I have no idea how these things work or how they control what circuits they cover. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to set one of these up. I can buy one (from norwal or gen direct) for around 6k. Probably cost me another 4 to buy from a dealer and have them install it. Is it easy to do, or just let the dealer do it ? Plus I imagine doing it myself. Voids warranties.
What do you think ?
(Curently charging the old battery and maybe going to try jumping it from the truck to see if I have a bad battery or the starter is going bad)
Lord knows maybe something else has locked up and is stopping the motor from turning over.
I wish they sold cummings near me, closest dealer is 50 plus miles... guess I'm kinda stuck with a generac.... to bad lowes / HD didn't carry them... but then who would service it, if needed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may have a starter solenoid issue.
Well the starter fires in, just doesn't turn. Just like in the old days when you turned the key in your car and it just ethercwent clunk, or click,click,click...cluck.... normally a low battery... that's this mornings task.. try to check that out. Been charging overnight, and maybe a jump start if it still doesn't turn

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, I see now. Will it turn the motor over with spark plug removed?
I just tried that, short answer is with a jump it initially wouldnot turn, I loosened the plugs and it turned over, tightened them back up , still turning, remove jump... nada. Off to get anew battery. The red top optima finally failed... even though the battery tender thinks it's good. I guess 300 is a lot cheaper than 5 - 10 k. But eventually going to have to do it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Take the old battery with you and have them do a load test on it. Be good to know if it is indeed done, because it could be something else…solenoid/relay etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, will do that. It's old probably 7-8 years. But you never know.. I'll have them check it out
Always had problems with original batteries, they would crack or blow up after about a year.
Found out it was a known problem with that unit .. 12k ng
I disabled the built in charger (basically just pulled the fuse) and stuck a battery tender on the inside and bought a big battery (the Optima 800 cca) the 550 CCA batteries always seemed to struggle. No problems since... (until now)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My advance auto experiance this morning....
I purchased an Optima battery online at the Indian land , sc store. When I arrived I was greeted with a "what do you want" not an "can I help you ?" I replied I bought a battery online and I brought a battery to have you check. First I was questioned about what I meant "online" once I explained that, I was told to go get the battery and bring it in. I asked "can you not check it outside, I have a bad back and it's hard for me." He then went to the computer to look up my purchase, he found it and started to go through it, and he asked about the core. I told him that was why I wanted the battery outside checked "like I asked when I came through the door" could we not please go check it and we can go on from there. He begrudgingly got his meter and went out to my car. He saw it was a battery I bought from them in 2014 and started complaining about,we never check these, there just old and bad. But he did push a few things on his meter and showed me a screen with a red x on it , saying "see it's bad" (who knows if he actually checked it ) he then wanted me to cary it in. I asked,, "do you not have a cart and do that for me ? " he went and got my new battery, placed it on a cart , brought it out to my trunk and got the old one out.
All the while saying you know we don't get anything for doing this and we do it for free. And he specified "free" several times. I told him that was one reason I liked advanced as they provided that service. He replied, so you came here because the service is free ? I should be ashamed !!!! He then started talking about restaurant workers and how they didn't do things for free, like he wanted me to tip him.
Maybe I'll start taking my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Almost anywhere else in the world, the salesman would've been more courteous... sometimes a little too friendly for comfort.... giving you very little reason not to tip him later.

But I guess there are a few who hate their job so much that they don't give a rat's butt whether or not you give him business or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I did return the favor ... being a butt myself.. and wrote that same note to advance customer service. They apologized and gave me a 25 dollar coupon for my next purchase. I'm sure that store manager will hear about it. It really rubbed me the wrong way when this young 30 year old wanted this old 66 year old to cary my own battery in... now if I wasn't buying one too, I may have felt a bit different. But even then, it's part of thier advertising that they will come out and check your battery...
Enough of that.... I waited until this morning (to avoid the 100 degree heat) but the new battery is in, and the old 20 year old 12k generac cranked right up.
Guess that new one will need to wait.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When was the last time it did the exercise routine ? If you got 5 years from a battery used in this environment your lucky .
To have it last maybe 8 years you shouldn't be expecting too much from it in a emergency .I have some that I installed 25 years back with the proper maintenance their still running strong . If you went abought a new one I don't think you would be buying a machine of the same build quality . The only one I had that ever failed was one I installed in my folks house when we built it in 1993 . Sometime @ 12-13 years my dad called me and said the generator didn't do its exercise , so I asked him to try a manual start & I could hear over the phone the rod clunking . This one had a oil makeup tank , I think that's what they called it & the tank was dry . The low oil switch didn't do its job. Those switches are worth pulling & testing on some sort of schedule . I think that was a 7 K & the 8 K I replaced it with was not as beefy as the original .
animal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When was the last time it did the exercise routine ? If you got 5 years from a battery used in this environment your lucky .
To have it last maybe 8 years you shouldn't be expecting too much from it in a emergency .I have some that I installed 25 years back with the proper maintenance their still running strong . If you went abought a new one I don't think you would be buying a machine of the same build quality . The only one I had that ever failed was one I installed in my folks house when we built it in 1993 . Sometime @ 12-13 years my dad called me and said the generator didn't do its exercise , so I asked him to try a manual start & I could hear over the phone the rod clunking . This one had a oil makeup tank , I think that's what they called it & the tank was dry . The low oil switch didn't do its job. Those switches are worth pulling & testing on some sort of schedule . I think that was a 7 K & the 8 K I replaced it with was not as beefy as the original .
animal
I think it missed a couple cycles, I usually hear it kick on. I pay attention as it always had a hard time turning over (for the first few years of its life) it has a problem with its charging circuit and would overcharge the batteries, and crack them or blow the tops off. I was just oblivious of why that was happening until it happened for the third time (it would take 2 years to blow them up) . I wasn't real sure about how to fix or change out the circuit. So the easy work around was to remove the fuse that controlled the charging, and stick a battery tender on the new battery. Which was a 800 CCA red top optima.. it lasted the 8 years, so a new one just like it , is now starting it. It's running fine so far.
I kind of wanted to upgrade it to one that was a bit larger, as I am thinking of putting in a larger heat pump (geothermal ---- only requires a 30 amp breaker, but runs at about 10 amps), not certain what the new one would actually pull, but it would come with a 16 circuit load enter instead of the 10 I have now. Bought it in 02, for 2500 (12kw) the replacement 14kw is 4700....But I guess as long as this one is running, I'll just let it run. I've never adjusted the valves, so I may give that a whirl in the fall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like you had a flakey voltage regulator . I always hated doing houses that had het pumps with the back up strips . You could go from a bid with the 200 amp service to a 400 amp real quick . I don't remember how many I ran power for
they seem great for holding at a set temperature , but you paid for it to crank it up . Most folks I installed for onkly used the strips for the first winter .
animal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like you had a flakey voltage regulator . I always hated doing houses that had het pumps with the back up strips . You could go from a bid with the 200 amp service to a 400 amp real quick . I don't remember how many I ran power for
they seem great for holding at a set temperature , but you paid for it to crank it up . Most folks I installed for onkly used the strips for the first winter .
animal
It turned out To be a known issue with that model and year, but they wouldn't help me as I was to far out of warrenty. But my heat pump is a geothermal (well water , pump and dump) no heat strips.. and checking my monitor, it just kicked on and pulled 12 amps. (3000 wats) so it's pretty economical .

·
Registered
19 Posts
That sounds alot different from the ones I've hooked up , The guys rate them by tons , which I know is standard for AC . I retired before the mini split units got big , But the ones we used ran 10 amps per ton & they were Geo also . I did a few houses with 3 50 amp units & that was without the backup strips . . I'll take my wood stove any day . I cooked & baked all winter with my wood stove . You get a whole different type of heat from a heat pump heat register . We're / I letting this thread get off wack , sorry folks .
animal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts