Power Equipment Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
dust off your generators and do your PM, looks like this may be a summer of rolling blackouts...

passed my inspection for my generator receptacles and interlock kits. I bought a wgen12000df during disaster preparedness weekend. got replacement spark plugs already as the stock Chinese plugs are crap.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Evidently ERCOT is providing lower costs or something for Texas to keep them around. Last winter was a major disaster, still arguing about loss of life in that one and now Summer has issues as well. Last I read, they still can't or won't connect to the US Grid in extreme conditions. I suppose we should let Texas sort that out themselves. Tempting to sit far away and second guess why their generation and transmission capacity can't handle winter or summer electricity needs.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Texas grid is controlled by big oil. Not much us peons can do about it.
I just bought a new generator about a week ago and I picked up a window air conditioner this morning. I don't know what else I can do.
As long as you have fuel, you should be good to go. The goal is to be comfortable during the outage. Make sure you can cook and keep at least one room cool and pleasant so you can sleep. Hopefully if there are outages, they won't be long. The multi-day outages can get rough for those not prepared.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The Texas grid is controlled by big oil. Not much us peons can do about it.
I just bought a new generator about a week ago and I picked up a window air conditioner this morning. I don't know what else I can do.
True. You prepare as best you can. I suppose the silver lining is that if extreme weather perturbations are forecast you know to get ready as having electricity is suspect.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Fortunately our neighborhood is gas-electric. I converted my Champion to NG. I plan to convert my new WEN GN625i to NG also.
Two of my neighbors bought the same unit and I will be converting those to NG also.
We're going to be running them in the 120 volt mode so that we can get up to 40 amps.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My new window A/C is an inverter type. It only draws 8.7 amps on high and provides 8000 BTU of cooling. It is a Midea MAW08V1QWT. It is not nearly enough to cool the entire house, but we figured we could retreat to the living room and just cool that area if necessary.

HD had it for $359, but I got 10% military discount off that. Also, my electric provider has a $50 rebate for it. Overall, I guess it is a relatively inexpensive insurance policy.

I got it out of the box today, but I haven't plugged it in yet. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
There's everything to like about inverter A/Cs. No inrush current to talk of and the variable-speed compressor sips power as needed. The perfect "load" for any generator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.