Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Poulans in the shop. Can't get these things to run. I put in new carbs, re-did the fuel supply lines, and have spark, in both cases. One is a 2375 "Wild thing" the other is a PP4218. Same problem.

Both have a brand new spark plug. I checked for spark by shutting all the lights, pulling the cord, with a grounded but not installed spark plug in place.

I did the inital setting for both jets, screwed all the way in, and backed off 1.5 turns, which for every other carb in the world is OK.

I double checked the primer routing, seems correct. One goes to the bottom of the carb, the other to the vent back into the tank. The top input of the carb goes straight to the tank.

The PP4218 was running, and it was running at really high RPMs when I let off the throttle. The 2375 never ran.

Anything special I should know about setting up new carbs on these things?

Thanks in advance. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two things you could try. Remove the clutch cover and see if the crank shaft has any play. This will help you determine if the bearing is bad. Second, if you have the tools, do a pressure and vacuum test. You can also do the same to the flywheel side. This will test the seals. The high rpm's would seem to indicate a lean condition caused by too much air from a leak somewhere. Where the leak. Let me count the ways...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the inital setting for both jets, screwed all the way in, and backed off 1.5 turns, which for every other carb in the world is OK.

I double checked the primer routing, seems correct. One goes to the bottom of the carb, the other to the vent back into the tank. The top input of the carb goes straight to the tank.

The PP4218 was running, and it was running at really high RPMs when I let off the throttle. The 2375 never ran.
You need to confirm your primer routing is correct. I find that to be the most common issue, after being worked on.

On the PP4218, first back the idle screw off. I dont know it that is rod or cable, but make sure there is slack in linkage and throttle is actually closing completely. If you still get high rpm, then there is an air leak. This could be around the carb/manifold/gaskets or crank seal. If any paper gaskets in use make sure they are not flipped the wrong way.

As mentioned crank seals is a good thing to check if nothing else turns up. Smaller displacement engines are very sensitive to air leaks. Some tolerate it better than others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts