Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I purchased a Pulsar G12KBN back in December, 2020 in anticipation of a storm that never came, so I only recently took it out the box and assembled it. Never started it or put oil/gas into it. Winter is now approaching, and the battery has never been used.

Should I take it out of the garage where it would likely freeze over the winter and bring it inside?

Anything else I should do in preparation of having to use it should the power ever go out?

Also, what's your opinion of this generator? It's dual fuel 9500W. I purchased it on newegg for less than $800.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
yup i second the indoor storage.
we use battery blankets now on all equipment as well as onboard chargers.
getting ready for a rough winter 2021-2022.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Can you recommend a cheap charger I can purchase that I can use to periodically make sure the battery is charged until I need it? Will I need to continue to do this in the spring? It could be another year or more before I ever even need to use the generator.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No you don’t buy a battery charger!!! You buy a battery MAINTAINER. A 2 amp size preferably. They’re meant to be continuously hooked up to the battery, unless the generator is running. They constantly monitor and keep the battery ready for use. Also, you should break in the generator and then empty out the fuel if you wish afterwards. Better yet always add stabilizer and simply run it for 20 minutes with a small load once a month. You don’t want to run it’s guts out the first time that you rely on it in an emergency. Currently the engine is sitting there without an oil film and could be prone to rusting, so get to it…😉

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the one I've settled on. Look good? I'll remove the battery and connect it to the charger in the basement where the battery won't freeze until it's needed. I'll also get started with starting it the first time and letting it run for a while. I believe I also have some fuel stabilizer, although I always prefer to just run it dry. Don't people do that anymore?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yep. That’s exactly the type that I was talking about. Running the carburetor dry isn’t really what happens. The bowl still has residual fuel unless it has a drain screw like most Hondas have. So….always good to use stabilizer. 👍

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ive had my gen for 2winters and the battery still seems to be as good as new when turning over the engine, And all I do is start up the gen every month for 10-20mins...

yup i second the indoor storage.
we use battery blankets now on all equipment as well as onboard chargers.
getting ready for a rough winter 2021-2022.
I might look into 1 for my battery, can you use then when on the generator?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive had my gen for 2winters and the battery still seems to be as good as new when turning over the engine, And all I do is start up the gen every month for 10-20mins...

I might look into 1 for my battery, can you use then when on the generator?
For use while on the generator itself, you might look into the "direct mount" chargers, which can be fastened directly to the generator itself and has special lugs that screw right onto the battery itself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check with the maker of the maintainer, but generally it should be unplugged from the power source, when running the engine…😉

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Check with the maker of the maintainer, but generally it should be unplugged from the power source, when running the engine…
we use an low amp auto reset breaker depending on the charger to save the charger during start of the gen set.
a 2 to 3 amp breaker works well. depending on the charger make and model.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Check with the maker of the maintainer, but generally it should be unplugged from the power source, when running the engine…😉
I was just thinking that because the gen will be charging the battery aswel when running... I might get 1 of these sometime, but its the hassle of lengthening the power cables and routing it in the house, plus find somewhere for the charger to go on the generator so its not in the way while using the gen... Yeah I might be a tad lazy but Im in a wheelchair so it takes me much longer todo stuff, so I like things just ready to go. Like I have my gen just outside my house ready to go, so all I need todo is remove the weatherproof cover and start it up...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
can you use then when on the generator?
For use while on the generator itself, you might look into the "direct mount" chargers, which can be fastened directly to the generator itself and has special lugs that screw right onto the battery itself.
I have 12 maintainers from OptiMate & Schumacher. You CAN leave them connected. They have protection circuitry that prevent backfeeding them. This is NOT the case with at least some of the Harbor Freight tenders, though. I blew up 2 of them before I discovered this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have 12 maintainers from OptiMate & Schumacher. You CAN leave them connected. They have protection circuitry that prevent backfeeding them. This is NOT the case with at least some of the Harbor Freight tenders, though. I blew up 2 of them before I discovered this.
But the battery will be delivering a few more extra volts to the starter if you leave the maintainer powered when starting your gen?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
But the battery will be delivering a few more extra volts to the starter if you leave the maintainer powered when starting your gen?
No extra volts, per se. The sources are in parallel, so it's still approximately 12V, but a little more amperage available.

Reactions: Dutchy491

·
Registered
320 Posts
No extra volts, per se. The sources are in parallel, so it's still approximately 12V, but a little more amperage available.
Ah thats good to know, as that would be my biggest worry with frying the starter motor if leaving the maintainer switched on... So which 1 do you recommend for these small 12v batteries?

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I have have Used Battery Tender JRs on my generators for years. They work fine being connected while the generator is running as well. Recently I got a NOCO for my second eu7000, still no issues being connected at all times with the generator running.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So which 1 do you recommend for these small 12v batteries?
Since you're in England, one of these OptiMate 4 units (I have a half-dozen):

·
Registered
320 Posts
Since you're in England, one of these OptiMate 4 units (I have a half-dozen):
So how many watts does one of these uses when battery is fully charged?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts