Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two thing that I need some help with guys. First off, I have a little Poulan 2055. Its just my little trim saw but I am starting to use it more and would like to give it a little pick me up. I have heard of people just doing muffler mods on their saws, but I haven't been able to find anything yet on my saw. I took the muffler off, but I am lost as to where to start gutting out the little muffler if possible at all... My second question is, how hard is it to do a complete top and bottom end rebuild on a Stihl MS290. I am looking for another saw, preferably a stihl, and I have found one that says it has a bottom end knock. My thoughts were rebuilding it if the price is right, but I have never done it before so I thought I would ask. Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Leave the muffler alone if you want it to run right and start reliably. Any exhaust mods should be accompnied with carb mods and then you have a racing saw not something you can use everyday. "Tim the Toolman" strikes again. Roger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Leave the poulan alone. if you want a more powerful, smaller, lighter saw then buy a new stihl/husqvarna sawof comperable size. the poulans are great bang for your buck saw but there is no "technology" in them so they always seem like they are alittle sluggish for their size. like said already with more out you need more in.

if you rebuild the stihl it will need a crankshaft kit minimum and any other pittly parts. i have never seen a crankshaft go out before a cylinder so it may need a complete engine replacement. i see a bunch of crankshafts on ebay for $35 so you may or may not come out ahead. you can ger a new MS290 out here for 389 so keep that in mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts