Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have bought a Stihl MS 260 three days ago. When I was in the shop to buy the saw I've already seen that the muffler has a strange coloring, like it has been run before and something was leaking out of it, but couldn't be removed totally.

But I didn't pay any further attention to it. So, this is my first saw, so I cannot tell if anything looks or sounds strange when using the saw.

After using the saw for a short while, something leaks out from the muffler. I have attached some pictures.

Perhaps someone can tell me, if this a normal behaviour?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And it consumes a lot of gas. A colleague has a husqvarna with the same horse power, but he told me, that he his saw consumes 2 reservoirs for 8 cubic meter.
I need 2 reservoirs for 2 cubic meter. Does the new saw consume a lot more at the beginning?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know this is an old post but will answer it anyway 3 years later. Dealers will always run a saw before it is delivered to the customer. Their fuel mix will weigh on the heavy side with the oil mix so the saw has extra lube for the break in period. What you are seeing is unburned two cycle oil. Nothing to worry about. I would also recommend that you continue to run your saw at a 40:1 ratio instead of the recommended 50:1 it literally is a small bit more oil and will not cause excess smoke or what you are seeing on the muffler, bit will provide a little more lubrication for the engine.
Also make sure you always keep your engine fins and the air filter clean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts