Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need 2nd on my Stihl 034 on if its crank bearings or something else. Been having issues with pulling the rope on a cold start. Its hard to pull unless I stick my foot in the opening where the trigger is to brace it. When its being pulled is makes a cracking sound. Then after 5-6 times it pulls normal. I took recoil starter off and it pulls out fine when off of saw. I can turn the flywheel by hand but its tight at first like something is sticking. I described this same issue to friend thats been in the business longer than I have and he saying its crank bearings need replaced.

I know it only does it when pulling the rope all the way out when trying to start it. If I only pull rope out 4-6in to bump it over it doesnt do the cracking sound or hard to pull.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had a wore out homelite that was doing that and turned out the rings were catching on one of the ports due to the piston moving around in the bore . A quick check for you is to pull the spark plug out and then try pulling the cord do you still here the noise ? if not my bet is on the crank bearings as well . The compression with the plug in puts the bearings under a load and a bad bearing will show up in the way you described but without the plug there is very little load and it will pull much more free and much less noise

·
Registered
3 Posts
could also take the muffler off it and look into the port to see what the cylinder looks like if you notice or feel any deep scratches it needs to be pulled apart for closer inspection

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This has been resolved. It was the recoil rope put in or wrapped right around pulley by PO. I went and replaced rope then it did it on me. So I figured I didnt put the rope around the pulley tight enough. So after wrapping the rope tight around the pulley then turning the pulley so the one end of the rope reaches the eyelet hole. I then just pulled it throught and tied it on the starter handle. No problems since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts