Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Generac standby generator 13NG--15LP serial # 4330848, model # on engine is OE6219, it's burning oil like half quart in 4 hrs. I'm wanting too replace engine or overhaul, which of the two would be better? Should the answer be replace engine where can an engine be found?
Thanks in advance for any help,
David

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you have access to a GOOD small engine mechanic rebuild would be a maybe, depending on cost. Cleanest way would be just to replace, new engine, new warranty, Follow the break in guidelines, e.g. change oil after first 5 hours and "X" hours after that. Finding a replacement engine may be challenging given Generac's apparent indifference to service support lately. Finding parts to rebuild may be a major challenge. What you have works now and you can nurse it through an outage if needed. If it's at the mechanic's and they're waiting for parts from China, during an outage what would you do? JMHO. How many hours on the unit? Good luck,

·
Registered
273 Posts
Obviously you'll be talking with a Generac dealer, so get a range of prices, from rebuild, replace engine, to replace entire unit. Sounds screwy, but sometimes, due to price points and inventory it doesn't cost a lot more to replace entire unit even if you end up with stuff you don't need. Direct replacement would also be less labor. Have all new electronics and generator head. Doesn't hurt to ask. Depending on your level of larceny, you'd have a "running" generator you could sell. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have access to a GOOD small engine mechanic rebuild would be a maybe, depending on cost. Cleanest way would be just to replace, new engine, new warranty, Follow the break in guidelines, e.g. change oil after first 5 hours and "X" hours after that. Finding a replacement engine may be challenging given Generac's apparent indifference to service support lately. Finding parts to rebuild may be a major challenge. What you have works now and you can nurse it through an outage if needed. If it's at the mechanic's and they're waiting for parts from China, during an outage what would you do? JMHO. How many hours on the unit? Good luck,
Don't know how many hours it doesn't have hr. meter, what I do know is the unit is 16 yrs. old. I can nurse it through an outage and will.
Appreciate your input, I'm getting my ducks in a row so that I don't get caught with my pants down, and will replace engine as you suggested when time comes.
Thanks again,
David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that's my thoughts get a few price quotes price a new unit then make my decision.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
well if you go with a real good machine shop to rebuild it...
they can sleeve the block ....
mod the oiling, update the valve stem seals.
better bearings...
a basic redesign of an engine..
you will spend bucks.. but if it is done right it may last 25 years if it is redone with the right materials.

check in with the pro performance speed shops!
some times they love a good new different project!!

newer is not always better... some of the new materials the mfg's are doing as replacement parts are junk...
out of spec, poor materials to cut corners...

genewreck is not my favorite... most of the newer stuff is just trash from them right now...

check in with cat and cummins and see what they have in your size!
cat makes a good engine!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if you go with a real good machine shop to rebuild it...
they can sleeve the block ....
mod the oiling, update the valve stem seals.
better bearings...
a basic redesign of an engine..
you will spend bucks.. but if it is done right it may last 25 years if it is redone with the right materials.

check in with the pro performance speed shops!
some times they love a good new different project!!

newer is not always better... some of the new materials the mfg's are doing as replacement parts are junk...
out of spec, poor materials to cut corners...

genewreck is not my favorite... most of the newer stuff is just trash from them right now...

check in with cat and cummins and see what they have in your size!
cat makes a good engine!
Thanks for your reply things too consider,
David

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thinking about this, I'm really glad I'm not in your shoes. You have a well made, strong machine which has worked for 16 years, and now needs some TLC which is going to cost $$. The cost may be approaching a new unit. "They don't make them like they used to," applies to almost everything including gensets. If you buy a new, top of the line Generac (Oxymoron?) it will be orders of magnitude lower in quality than what you have, and will definitely not last 16 years based on recent forum posts and what I've observed locally.

The conundrum as I see it is not to replace the engine, as the new one will be of significantly lower quality, but to find a GOOD mechanic who can rebuild it. I wouldn't go to the extent that Iowa suggests, just the original "as shipped" condition. So, finding a good small engine shop and coordinating a time that your area is less likely to see storms and outages would be my idea. If the shop also repairs gensets and can take a look at the generator, even better.

Whatever you do is going to cost, maybe you don't need the whole house genset anymore, consider going with a disconnect and portable which would be much less expensive. This forum has a lot of posts concerning first time genset buyers and how to sort through all the options from extension cords to automatic transfer switches and whole house units.

Good luck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thinking about this, I'm really glad I'm not in your shoes. You have a well made, strong machine which has worked for 16 years, and now needs some TLC which is going to cost $$. The cost may be approaching a new unit. "They don't make them like they used to," applies to almost everything including gensets. If you buy a new, top of the line Generac (Oxymoron?) it will be orders of magnitude lower in quality than what you have, and will definitely not last 16 years based on recent forum posts and what I've observed locally.

The conundrum as I see it is not to replace the engine, as the new one will be of significantly lower quality, but to find a GOOD mechanic who can rebuild it. I wouldn't go to the extent that Iowa suggests, just the original "as shipped" condition. So, finding a good small engine shop and coordinating a time that your area is less likely to see storms and outages would be my idea. If the shop also repairs gensets and can take a look at the generator, even better.

Whatever you do is going to cost, maybe you don't need the whole house genset anymore, consider going with a disconnect and portable which would be much less expensive. This forum has a lot of posts concerning first time genset buyers and how to sort through all the options from extension cords to automatic transfer switches and whole house units.
I'm with you when it comes too the they don't make them like they use to, it's hard to find anything that has the quality we once had. That said I'll lean in that direction and look for mechanic.
I'll have to correct the age that's 14 yrs. old which is very good. I purchased in 06 which is where I got the 6 confused with age.
Thanks again,
David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts