Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in SE Texas and hurricane Laura is the first major storm since I had a Generac G0070432 (22KW/999 GUARD+200A SE T/SW AL) standby generator installed. I'm also new to hurricanes in general, so I had a couple of questions before it hits tomorrow night.
  1. Is it OK for the generator to run during a hurricane? I imagine the power will go out during the storm itself, and I wasn't sure if it's OK for it to run with the winds going on, or if it should be disabled until after the storm passes. (Note: I'm about 40 miles from the coast and it's expected to land as a cat 3 storm at the moment.)
  2. Does the generator need a break at some point? In other words, if the power is out for a week or more, do I need to let it turn off for a while at any point, or can it theoretically run for more than a week without a break?
  3. If I do need to disable it (either for #1 or #2 above), and if you own one of these or are familiar with the make/model, what is the simple way to do that? The panel looks pretty straightforward, but I don't want to accidentally do something that makes it not want to come back on.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
make sure you have oil and an oil filter on hand!
ok as long as your gas source is ok natural or lp you should be set.
flooding can be an issue depending on where the generator is located
as well as trash in the air filter, depending on how much dust is stirred up before the storm hits
if you are on generator already.

run on ac grid power as long as you can..
as soon as the lights start to flicker, switch over to gen set asap!

this will eliminate the surge spike damage from the grid power due to shorting of LARGE power lines.
i have meters to monitor the grid power on my system when i am on generator..
so maybe use the look outside to see if the neighbors have grid power or if night see if the street lights are back on.

make sure the generator is debris free. trash can blow in around the air inlets on gens..
that can be a bad thing!

the oil may need to be changed if you are on a extended run...
follow the instructions for your gen set!

stay safe down there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been through multiple hurricanes (South Florida). If you have only one generator, I would not use it during the main part of the storm. There will be large amounts of wind and rain. The generator will have to be outside of the enclosed house. If there is a problem, you can not go out during the storm to correct it. I have multiple generators. One time I setup the smallest generator outside under a 30' overhang with a heavy table over it. During one hurricane approx. 15 years ago the generator got drenched from the rain (traveled 30' from the wind). It survived but I could not use the power as the rain caused the generator to surge and then choke. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been through multiple hurricanes (South Florida). If you have only one generator, I would not use it during the main part of the storm. There will be large amounts of wind and rain. The generator will have to be outside of the enclosed house....
This is a standby, permanent generator; not a portable one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Then I would run the generator. I assume it is on an ATS, so it should switch over when the power goes out. If it is an air cooled standby, remember to check the oil daily. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I would run the generator. I assume it is on an ATS, so it should switch over when the power goes out. If it is an air cooled standby, remember to check the oil daily. Good luck.
Thanks!

Yea, I emailed the installer yesterday and he also said OK to run during storm and then said it could run 5 days before needing maintenance. He's not planning to leave so gonna schedule him for the 5th day if it looks like an extended power outage. He said it would only take an hour, so I assume it's just an oil change, as you said.

By the way, the total run time on the machine so far since installation was 6 hours (almost entirely the 10-minutes-per-week-test-run.) And, everything looks green right now, so should be set.

And yea, it has an automatic switch for when the power goes off. They also installed a $250 surge protector to protect the switch/generator from spikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would still turn the generator off every 24 hours for a short time and check the oil. I would in the future turn off the power to the house every month and let the generator get a real test. A new neighbor moved a few months ago. The house came with a 22KW generac. He mentioned how my generator (prime - diesel) goes on every week for 2 hours. I told him that we run it up to 80% (my diesel, not my gas generators) to stimulate a failure (I have servers in the house) and recommended that he stimulates a power outage at least once a month. He was told he didn't need to, because it tests itself for 12 minutes every week at a low rpm to save fuel. My area lost power last week for 3 hours. I heard his generator loud and clear but his house was dark except for flashlights. During previous storms, many standby generators failed when put under a real load for extended time periods.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
yup testing is a good thing!
i would shut off the grid power during a large wind event...
even if you just go amish (no power and candle or lantern for light)
but remember to use battery c / o detectors!!
darn c/o is a real danger..

i hear you on the wind events bob!
folks in the 08/10/2020 iowa storm learned some real world lessons!
my clients all had power!
they are all tri fuel.
and they have a plan for 2 fuel sources.
and were real glad as natural gas went out 2 days later after the storm as the fire department shut off part of the city due to trees rooted in the gas lines...
the natural gas company did not have a good plan for a hub system so they could cut out a small portion of clients.
they had to shut off 20,000 homes...
lol that went over real good!!
one neighbor was super mad at my client as they knew his primary fuel was natural gas..
lol
he explained that his system is tri fuel so he has a choice of fuel!!
just then his wife rolled up with the 500 gallon fuel trailer.
and he just jacked it in to the extended run system.
he is still on gen 3 weeks later or getting close to that...

they say that hurricane down in the texas over to florida gulf could be a month for some folks down there to get power back..
and maybe greater than 9 foot storm surge water in the direct path!!
WOW!

we get excited here about 3 foot over flood stage here in Iowa..
9 foot!
that is just a wow!!

stay safe down there!
and yes it is a good idea to have extra filters and oil on hand for the service guy.
that way you do not run out!
i always say to have a month worth of oil and filters on hand at a min.
but i use the same oil in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts