Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like LaSwamp, I couldn't resist the $159 delivered price. I got mine last week and finally got to set it up and start breaking it in. First thing I did was get a NGK plug to replace the Torch plug, my Advance Auto Parts store carried it. While the plug LOOKS easy to access, it's a bear. Taking the side cover and the spark plug cover off helped. The Torch plug was covered in a shiny black soot. For oil I measured ~7.5 oz of Valvoline SAE30 I had on hand. In the Sportsman owners manual says the oil should be at the low mark on the dipstick. With the 7.5 oz the oil is at the low mark IF you don't screw the dipstick in when you're checking it. It you screw the dipstick in it's at the full mark. The OM doesn't say anything about whether or not to screw in the dipstick when checking the oil. I followed the OM on starting and it started right up. I ran it for about 5 minutes to warm it up. Then applied loads between 75W and 500 W, working my way up in Watts. I kept varying the load. It ran real good, smooth and quiet with loads. Without a load the Voltage was 124.6V and 59.9Hz. With a 300W load it was 122V and 59.9Hz and with a 500W load it was 121V and still 59.9Hz. I tried an electric heater at 839W but it overloaded it and the gen stopped. It started up and I ran it ok with the 300W & 500W loads. I hope the overload with the 800W was either because the gen is not totally broken in yet or the electric heater is too "crude" for the inverter. My fridge is about 800W starting and 400W running, I'd like to be able to use this gen for the fridge. I have a 5500W gen that runs what I need just fine. But this small gen would be a nice fuel efficient addition to the 5500W unit. This gen seems well put together, not sloppy construction. Since the factory plug was sooty and there were signs of oil on the dipstick I guess the engine must have been tested. Yet there were no signs that the gen was run. Perhaps they test the engine before installing it. I know it's not a Honda but as an occasional use back up for $159, The picture with the plugs shows the gen's Torch plug and the larger plug is used in my 2 cycle eguipment. Plant Motor vehicle Camera accessory Trunk Automotive design
Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting Gadget Personal luxury car
Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Point-and-shoot camera Camera
Handheld power drill Engineering Drill accessories Machine Auto part
Plant Motor vehicle Camera accessory Trunk Automotive design
Plant Motor vehicle Camera accessory Trunk Automotive design
Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting Gadget Personal luxury car
Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Point-and-shoot camera Camera
Handheld power drill Engineering Drill accessories Machine Auto part

it seems fine.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
How long did it take for the generator to shutdown from overloading AFTER you plugged in the 839W load?

It's rated for 800W running and up to 1,000W surge. It wouldn't be able to sustain >800W loads for more than a few seconds.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long did it take for the generator to shutdown from overloading AFTER you plugged in the 839W load?

It's rated for 800W running and up to 1,000W surge. It wouldn't be able to sustain >800W loads for more than a few seconds.
Probably around 30 seconds. It sounds like that any watts above 800 will shut it down. I wonder how it would handle my refrigerator that has an up to 800 surge and 400 running watts? It runs great at 500W. I'll see how much it can handle above 500W by slowly adding watts.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
That's normal. It is rated for 800W continuous. And as you have observed, anything between 801-1000W is considered surge.... meaning, the generator can handle them for a short time only. Anything longer than a few seconds or if you go above 1,000W, it will go into an overload condition and shutdown.

So your fridge at 800W surge should be fine in this generator as long as the total surge does not exceed 1,000W.

Reactions: GenKnot

· Registered
1,413 Posts
With an inverter generator the amount of time that you can dwell above the continuous wattage rating will decrease as the load increases. So, for example, if you are at 850 Watts the generator will run longer before shutting off than it will at 950 Watts.

· Registered
455 Posts
Sorry for my poor posting skills, I'm not computer literate, I'm lost in the past
Me too but I think the post is fine. The pics are A-1 👍
I tried an electric heater at 839W but it overloaded it and the gen stopped. It started up and I ran it ok with the 300W & 500W loads. I hope the overload with the 800W was either because the gen is not totally broken in yet or the electric heater is too "crude" for the inverter.
I didnt see it mentioned, just curious if the ECO switch was on or off at this point?
I wonder how it would handle my refrigerator that has an up to 800 surge and 400 running watts? It runs great at 500W
On paper it shouldnt be an issue. Will you be using a 12 or 14 ga cord to the fridge for your test. That could make the difference along with knowing whether it'll take the surge with ECO on or off.

· Registered
1,413 Posts
That could make the difference along with knowing whether it'll take the surge with ECO on or off.
Just FYI...
The ECO mode should be OFF when using loads that go that high. On my gen, it says to turn ECO off if using the gen over 75% of continuous rated load. For the Sportsman, it just says have it OFF...
Rectangle Font Eyelash Art Logo

· Registered
819 Posts
Can confirm, the spark plug is a bit of a hassle to replace. I used the spark plug wrench that came with the inverter and that seemed to work fairly well. It takes some patience to remove the Torch and line up the NGK so that it will thread. The Torch plug in mine also had some oil on it and smelled a bit of gas. And the dipstick also had some oil on it. I'm sure that was from the test run. The NGK was supposed to be delivered last Thursday but I didn't get it until last night. So I haven't had an opportunity to run it yet. I expect my numbers will be similar to Whimsey's readings. I will put the scope on it so we can see what the waveform looks like, although I imagine it will look pretty good. Overall, the unit seems tight and well-built. For light use, it should be ideal. Given the small size of the engine, I will probably go with a 5w30 full synthetic oil.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses, really appreciated. I haven't used the eco mode yet. I'll wait to it's finished breaking in some more before I try it with light to moderate loads. And yes, I would not use eco during high wattage draws. The extension cord for the fridge would be 12 gauge for sure. I'll do the initial oil change Sunday. By then I should have around 4-5 hours of running with 300W & 500W loads. I'll see if I can find some more to bring the load up a bit higher, but not over 800W ;). It'll be interesting to see what the oil looks like, sparkly or not. I plan on doing another short run using Valvoline SAE-30HD, since I already have it on hand. Afterwards, I will go with Mobil 1 5W-30 or older Rotella T 10W-30, I have both on hand. Hopefully I'm breaking it in correctly and it doesn't turn into an oil burner.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Savior plug came with an EBay replacement carb for my string trimmer. I don't use the plug, I use NGK's on all my 2 cycle equipment. But it's a good conversation piece :). Savior brand seems to sell other outdoor equipment replacement parts also, most likely Chinese made. I have a Torch plug the same size for the same use and it's slightly different than the Savior plug. The Savior plug is probably the economy brand version of the Torch plug :rolleyes:.

· Registered
198 Posts
I found a good use for the Torch plug that came in my Champion. I tied some fishing string to it, dropped it in the lake near dock to measure the water depth. Worked great!!:)
Seriously though, I wouldn't keep that thing even as a spare since I might need to rely on it someday.
NGK all the way around here!

· Registered
455 Posts
But it's a good conversation piece
Thanks, ends my curiousity, the name didnt ring any bells.
NGK all the way around here!
Have to agree for the most part zz28. But I'm fine with also using a Champion equivalent when I dont have an NGK on hand or quickly available either.
Champs have been around a long time. When I was just a little tike (in the 60's) they were all I saw while I was 'holding the light' for my Dad. The only con/gripe I have with them is I've found a Champion will/would foul more often than an NGK, altho most notably on a 2 stroke.
With todays 4 strokes being so lean right out of the box, plug fouling doesnt present near the failures it used to. IME anyway.
Seriously though, I wouldn't keep that thing even as a spare since I might need to rely on it someday.
We differ a little bit in this regard, I have 2 maybe 3 Torch's on the shelf for the 'just in case situation'. Theyre relatively new and low hour (less than 2) from new unit purchases. Dont get me wrong, I'll continue to shake my head and have no faith in them, but should the NGK/Champion fail when I need said unit the Torch is there to fall back on and 'hopefully' get me through the session. Reason being town for me is an hours trip one way, the few retailers here may not have stock on the NGK/Champion required.

Oddly enough 2 generators I serviced in the past 7 or 8 months still had the 'claimed original' Torch plug. Both gens were from overseas, at least 10 years old and came in with gummed up carbs...
I shrug my shoulders but will never faith in them.

· Registered
198 Posts
My dad was an auto mech his whole life and he used Champion plugs frequently. Held the flashlight myself a few times (also in the 60's).

I used to be a fan of Champions in 4-stroke engs until I worked at a tune-up shop many years ago. Had a car come back with a miss just after I had completed service. Pulled the plugs back out and found one that looked normal when held electrode up, however when I rotated so electrode was down, the center electrode would slid down against the ground electrode shorting it out. We thought it was a one-off situation.. Abt a week later, the exact same thing happened again on another customers car. Our manager said never again. We used NGK, AC-Delco and Autolite plugs in the shop and never had an issue with any of them.

For 2-strokes, I only run NGK iridium plugs. They are the only ones that wouldn't foul-out when changing altitudes during Enduro races (in the mountains).

I was going to keep the Torch as a spare (never even started the eng with it), but after I thought abt it some more, decided if I'm in a position where I really need my genny to run, I don't want to rely on it. Since I was ordering the plug online, figured I'd just order 2.

· Registered
819 Posts
My dad was an auto mech his whole life and he used Champion plugs frequently. Held the flashlight myself a few times (also in the 60's).

I used to be a fan of Champions in 4-stroke engs until I worked at a tune-up shop many years ago. Had a car come back with a miss just after I had completed service. Pulled the plugs back out and found one that looked normal when held electrode up, however when I rotated so electrode was down, the center electrode would slid down against the ground electrode shorting it out. We thought it was a one-off situation.. Abt a week later, the exact same thing happened again on another customers car. Our manager said never again. We used NGK, AC-Delco and Autolite plugs in the shop and never had an issue with any of them.

For 2-strokes, I only run NGK iridium plugs. They are the only ones that wouldn't foul-out when changing altitudes during Enduro races (in the mountains).

I was going to keep the Torch as a spare (never even started the eng with it), but after I thought abt it some more, decided if I'm in a position where I really need my genny to run, I don't want to rely on it. Since I was ordering the plug online, figured I'd just order 2.
Many years ago, a friend changed the spark plugs in his 1975 Honda CVCC. He took it out for a spin after and the engine ran badly. He couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally, he changed the plugs back to the old ones and the engine ran fine again. The bad plugs were brand new Champions. He never used the brand again. I avoid them too, based on that story.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
You just can't go wrong with an NGK. If it's not available, I'd settle on a Denso or Bosch.

· Registered
455 Posts
Held the flashlight myself a few times (also in the 60's).
Good memories when I think back on those times. I'm gratelful and thankful (maybe not so much at the time...) to him for the abilities learned when holding the light. Especially so when it comes to patience in relation to diagnosing.
I've good luck with the NGK EYA's for 2 stroke fouling prone engines (modified snowmobiles most notably). Now with the EPA rules, modern 2 stroke fouling is 'almost' becoming a thing of the past.

These days I cant afford to keep certain plugs on the shelf, they're just too pricey (up this way anyway). I'm the first to admit my shelf needs some organizing :LOL:, but for now I'm able to keep the typical engine happy & running in regards to a new plug.

Retail Box Publication Plastic Collection

1 - 20 of 25 Posts