Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having another winter storm in Louisiana tomorrow and supposed to be freezing rain this time. If power goes out, can I plug my space heater into the Generac 5500? Need to heat my 400 sq ft man cave, which is the old garage basically turned into a tiny house or apt. Thanks in advance for helping

·
Registered
353 Posts
I hope you are planning on placing your generator outside, far enough away to prevent carbon monoxide from killing you.
Also if you are going to use an extension cord, it should be a heavy duty one, at least 12 GA.
It is best to balance loads on a generator.
You have two 120V plugs side by side on your generator. Use two heaters on the low setting, plugged into the two separate plug ins side by side. This will balance the load on the generator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you are planning on placing your generator outside, far enough away to prevent carbon monoxide from killing you.
Also if you are going to use an extension cord, it should be a heavy duty one, at least 12 GA.
It is best to balance loads on a generator.
You have two 120V plugs side by side on your generator. Use two heaters on the low setting, plugged into the two separate plug ins side by side. This will balance the load on the generator.
I have it far enough away and shave heavy duty extensions cords. One will have my aquarium plugged in along with the filter, tank heater...other cord will have my TV and a lamp or 2 connected like I had when the power went out when we had one of the hurricanes earlier this year. The generator has 4 outlets. One will go to my mom's bedroom in her house, so she can have a lamp and TV. My man cave is in the backyard. She's not gonna run a cord to the kitchen because it'll be cold enough outside and she can put stuff in her outdoor freezer which is in her front porch. Hopefully we won't lose power and the freezing rain turns to regular rain. Only space heaters I have is one 1500 watt one and one with a remote that looks like a small fireplace. We only have 3 heavy duty extension cords. Had another one in the shed, but it's not there anymore. I don't want to blow anything of I plug it in a power strip along with my aquarium or the surge protector my TV is plugged in..Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you will be ok as long as you don't overload it.
I'd still have to set it for low, right? The portable electric fireplace is 1500 watts too. I'll prob do better with the other heater since it has a dial for wattage, 750 and 1500. Don't wanna blow anything as soon as I plug the fireplace heater in. I know it won't heat the whole place up, but as long as it's aimed at me while watching TV and if it can reach, aimed at me in bed. Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, the problem is about power. You see, with those metallic heaters you need way more power in order to make it work properly. If not, you will have problems like the one discussed about. More than that, it is not that good to use those because you will feel warm, yeah, but it will be for a short term, believe me. I’m saying this only because I had also to deal with such heaters. The best option not to freeze during the storm is to use ceramic heaters. You can read here Ceramic Heaters (CH2) | Wall Mounted Ceramic Heater why this is the best ever solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts