Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine many with portable generators used for emergency home power have experience with soft starters. Designed to reduce amp load, particularly startup/Inrush current, some promise up to 75% reductions in draw in certain applications. I would like to know any real-world experiences with these devices in regard to performance in reducing Inrush current. Any input is good input. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I imagine many with portable generators used for emergency home power have experience with soft starters. Designed to reduce amp load, particularly startup/Inrush current, some promise up to 75% reductions in draw in certain applications. I would like to know any real-world experiences with these devices in regard to performance in reducing Inrush current. Any input is good input. Thanks.
Never tried starting up the A/C before adding the micro air soft start but can say my eu7000 has no problem running our 2-1/2 ton Lennox system along with other appliances like refrigerator, freezer, tv and lights all on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Len, as I mentioned in another thread:

"Soft Starter Kit: Micro-Air EasyStart. This was the last piece of the puzzle for me. Above I mentioned I love paid air. Because my A/C / Heatpump has a listed 71 LRA (Locked Rotor Amps), so a 9kw genny wasn’t going to cut it. I decided to install a soft start kit. At $360.00, this also wasn’t cheap, but so well worth it when I considered how much else I was spending. This brought the startup requirements down something like 66% to only 24 amps. So now I can fire the A/C up with ease from the generator; even if the well pump kicks on at the same time. I also had to pay for someone to install it at $125.00, but I’m not that handy when it comes to the more complicated electrical components. You’ll definitely have to open up the panel on your fan unit and mess around if this is something you’d like to do. That said, it can absolutely be self-installed if you’re capable."

There are a good amount of videos and very good instructions from Micro-Air.

Finally Upgraded My Generator Setup To Something I’m...

ETA: The Micro-Air website has an easy to use product selection guide. At 3 tons, I would imagine that the 368 model may be needed. That said, their customer service is top notch and can answer any technical questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Len, as I mentioned in another thread:

"Soft Starter Kit: Micro-Air EasyStart. This was the last piece of the puzzle for me. Above I mentioned I love paid air. Because my A/C / Heatpump has a listed 71 LRA (Locked Rotor Amps), so a 9kw genny wasn’t going to cut it. I decided to install a soft start kit. At $360.00, this also wasn’t cheap, but so well worth it when I considered how much else I was spending. This brought the startup requirements down something like 66% to only 24 amps. So now I can fire the A/C up with ease from the generator; even if the well pump kicks on at the same time. I also had to pay for someone to install it at $125.00, but I’m not that handy when it comes to the more complicated electrical components. You’ll definitely have to open up the panel on your fan unit and mess around if this is something you’d like to do. That said, it can absolutely be self-installed if you’re capable."

There are a good amount of videos and very good instructions from Micro-Air.

Finally Upgraded My Generator Setup To Something I’m...

ETA: The Micro-Air website has an easy to use product selection guide. At 3 tons, I would imagine that the 368 model may be needed. That said, their customer service is top notch and can answer any technical questions.
Exactly what I was looking. Real world experience. My 3ton unit has 88 amps listed as LRA. I'm hoping to get a reduction sufficient for my WGen9500 to power it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brandonh. Is that second image from the Bluetooth version of the Micro-Air. Your experience is a little worrisome as my compressor LRA=88 and my Wgen9500 main circuit breaker is listed as 39 amps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd be inclined to think you'd be okay. Remember, the LRA is momentary. Once it settles down, you'll be nowhere near the 39/40 Aamp Breaker tolerances.

As long as you're managing your power, you'll have plenty to go around. Just keep an eye on what you have going at once. As in, don't have the water heater and dryer running while you're trying to kick on the A/C.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Exactly what I was looking. Real world experience. My 3ton unit has 88 amps listed as LRA. I'm hoping to get a reduction sufficient for my WGen9500 to power it. Thanks for the input.
Set up here is similar to yours. WGEN9500DF. 3Ton HVAC. Hyper Engineering Sure Start soft starter. Generator running on propane with a density altitude of over 6000 feet in the summer. Starts the AC fine. Running the house and the AC uses a bit over 4KW. AC compressor start hits pretty hard but recovers in what seems like half a second. Does not blow the Generator 50 amp nor the 50 amp transfer switch 30 amp double breakers for the AC. BTW, the utility service breakers for the AC compressor are also 30 amp and do not blow with or without the soft start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just installed mine on a 2.5 ton Goodman unit a few days ago. Took me from 64 LRA to just over 29 amps after it's 5th learning start according to their app so 'only' a 54.7% reduction which does seem to be less than many others get. Though I've seen it start as low as 25.4.

I'll reiterate what others have said on their instructions. They make it so simple you need pretty much no experience to install it aside from the ability to follow detailed instructions. Just take your time and be sure you have it right. They have diagrams for general installs and many that are specific to manufacturers. I found that using both version worked out best for me. And as always if you're not comfortable call a professional. The labor cost is well worth it considering the alternative.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts