Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
QUOTE="GenKnot, post: 99359, member: 40206"]
what a lot of people are finding is that it is just not a familiar item to either one.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly what my electritrian said. Hes going to talk to the AC guys. But looking at the install instructions it seems like an AC tech would be more familiar with the guts of a compressor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So who's the better choice to point in a smart start, electrician or AC guy?
AC guy would be more familure with the electronic wiring so would be a better choice to install a Soft Start unit in your AC. House electricians not so much. Call them for your interlock - inlet box or Transfer Switch install. Had my AC dealer come out and install the soft start in the compressor they installed the year before. Said they do a lot of them mostly for the Solar Battery backup customers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Spoke with my AC guys. They call the soft start a "Hard Start" or "Start Assist" kit and usually install them when there's compressor starting problems. They also told me these kits have been known to burn the compressor out. Has anyone had experience with that? BTY, $195 installed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
They don't understand what it is so therefore it is a "liability" to them.
A hard start kit and a soft start kit are exactly the opposite of each other. A hard start kit increases inrush current. A soft start kit decreases inrush current.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I talked to my AC service man about what I was doing, he mentioned they had to order soft start kits. He had hard start capacitors on the truck but that was not what I needed. He knew the difference. Usually it was the solar off grid and battery backup installers who were ordering the soft starts. The usual use of a hard start is to coax an aging compressor what won't start to start. It usually is a stop gap repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
503 Posts
Spoke with my AC guys. They call the soft start a "Hard Start" or "Start Assist" kit and usually install them when there's compressor starting problems. They also told me these kits have been known to burn the compressor out. Has anyone had experience with that? BTY, $195 installed.
Fire them. They are idiots. Get the EasyStart and install it yourself. It's 4 wires. Anyone can do it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Glez said:
I live in FL now.. plan is to put a soft start on..
In Florida, forget about the old tech alternating current (and inefficient) air conditioners. Install (DYI is easy) or have HVAC installer setup a ductless minisplit inverter. They are rated at 25 SEER++ and run totally silent, use very little energy. We run 4 tons of inverter heatpumps in several homes and the entire house (with pool pump also running) uses less than 3kw power, easily handled with a EU7000 generator.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts