Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just found this forum and have a couple questions. I retired a few months ago and can only do so much fishing and drinking beer. Looking for a way to make a few dollars, enough to pay for bait, beer and lottery tickets. I have a Simpson 3100 psi that I have used to clean my driveway and sidewalks a couple times. Does a good job with a Ryobi spinner but I have noticed that the cream is gone from my driveway.to be honest it might have been gone before I started doing this but I never paid attention. My question is is 3100 psi too much to safely do driveways and sidewalks? If so, there is no way to adjust the pressure on this machine so is there another way to lower the pressure such as a spinner that will take larger jets? Not looking to do more than one or two driveways a week,just looking for a little extra money. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you intend to do jobs for money, which means professionally, then you'll need to do a little research about pressure washing.
The pressure you wash at is only a part of a larger picture, and many homeowners think more is better, but really you'll want volume first, because that will determine the speed, and then find the correct pressure for the surface (usually not as much as you think).
If your engine has a throttle then that can be used to provide adjustable pressure.
You will need to use a pressure guage (0-4000, glycerin filled, ~30 bucks), quick disconnects are nice but not mandatory, and an adjustable unloader valve, also not mandatory but nice to have.
You will definitely need an assortment of tips of varying flow rates, and you need to lean why.
Now you're ready to buy special cleaning accessories for the specific job. There are devices made just for cleaning large flat surfaces and make all the difference. These things require a lot of volume, which your system may or may not deliver.
So go and read, then decide what you want to do.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts