Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've batted around for awhile now. The last couple of yrs
I've had an increase in people wantin tools, blades, shears, pruners scissors knives and of coarse, chainsaw chains sharpened. up till this point, I was doing everything by hand. I had gotten a foley belsaw model 399 chain sharpener last yr from a friend. When I ordered their catalog so I could buy some wheel. I saw that Foleys is much more than just a company. They're actually an institute.

Fast forward to a month ago. I was lookin thru the local c-list, when I spotted a foley belsaw model 1099 sharpener, with all the attachments. Foleys still makes and sell this machine. It's priced around 1500 hundred bucks with eveything. The one I found is like brand new and was hardly every used. So for 250 bucks I jumped on it. It has since paid for half of it already. And I'm learning how to sharpin circular saw blades also. Foley has a coarse that I'm just starting to take, on sharpening. for 400 dollars I think it'll be well worth it.

I'm hoping that with our dwindling economy, people are more likley to have things sharpened, then to throw it away and buy new. Foley also helps with the business end of things also.

The word has gotten around fast that i'm doing sharpening now. and from the research I've done, there isn't hardly anyone doing this, close to me. I also plan on takin their locksmithing coarse. I figure between my welding & fabrication, small engine repair. That a sharpening service and locksmithing will compliment it nicely. Besides I like to do different things. Doing one type job, over and over and over is not for me. I didn't last 2 hrs at a coca cola bottling plant because of that..:D And that was the last production/assembly job I had.

I was thinkin this might be something you guys/gals might be interested in. It doesn't take a full on shop to do so, either. I highly reccomend ya'll to check them out.

No, I'm not a spokes person for them, I just like what they offer.;)
[/ATTACH]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've always done sharpening by hand, mower blades, circular blades, and saw chains. At one point we discussed getting one of these (not sure of the brand) but my concern is that it "eats" too much of the chain so the life of the chain is shortened dramatically. Chains ain't cheap as I'm sure you know.
So does it really "eat" chains? And how much quicker is it to use/set up for use?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as "eating" to much. That's soley the operator. I know alot of shops especially saw shops, will take more than what's needed. So they can sell you a new one.. I havn't set the 1099 up for chains, simply cuz I have a dedicated chain sharpener. After hand filing chains that has seen alot of dirt or rocks. A sharpener is the only way to go. I can do a 20" full comp in about 7 minutes, drags included. I get customers that will drop off anywhere from 2 to 20 chains. That really hurts my battered-up hands. None of the attachments are hard to set-up and use... If business gets good, I'll be investing in more dedicated machines. But this is great to get started with.

Our local stihl dealer charges 10 bucks to sharpen chains up to 20". I'm chargin 5 bucks up to 20" That includes drags ( depth gauge) Needless to say I've bin takin alot of their customers.

Just had a fellow bring me one that this shop sharpened (supposedly) And the teeth were turned blue, the angle of the cutter was whacked out ( almost 35 degrees!) Must of bin a new guy......

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
thats good that you are doing it cheaper

me and my good friend got into with someone, they asked us why we dont shop local, well local marks stuff up 60%, i can get it online and shipped for 40% less

i rather in your case sharpen 30 blades at $5 a pop than than 8 at $10 ... and small town/local shops wonder why they have to shut their doors, cut back on some overhead and all and you might make more profit selling more for less money and still have more $$$$$ than selling less parts for more

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't last 2 hrs at a coca cola bottling plant because of that..:D And that was the last production/assembly job I had.

I thought I was bad! At least I lasted 1 shift at my production job. Thought I would go nuts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts