Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, Newbie here.

I have a Gillette whole house generator with a Gillette Sentry-Pro ATSC1-1000 transfer switch. The schematic for the generator says it is a SP100-2 Vanguard-Dry Fuel (on LP) with an ESG-53 controller. The transfer switch says the Gen-Set is an SP85-LP. The schematic for the generator appears to be correct. The Owner's Manual for the transfer switch shows a slightly different Sentry-Pro controller that is on the generator and the Plant Exersisor is different (I believe a replacement). My problem is several.

For more than a year this unit has not worked (with one exception). The annunciator on the Gen-Set always showed "Voltage Fault". The Sentry-Pro in the transfer switch has a "Charge Battery" LED that could hardly be seen, perhaps it was usually off, and it always showed "Engine Fault", though I could use the Test "Standby/Run" switch to start the Gen-Set. When doing so, I would have to go to the Gen-Set and push the "Reset" rocker to shut it down, rather than just moving the Test switch back to "Standby". Only once did the power go off and the Gen-Set started AND the transfer switch worked. Strange.

Since then all annunciators have been off. Today I decided to investigate. The Test switch inside did nothing. I opened the panel on the Gen-Set with the controller and annunciators, and found the 10A glass fuse open. I replaced it and the "Voltage Fault" LED came on. I switched the Gen-Set from OFF to ON and after 10 seconds, the generator started and ran fine with 236V all the way to the transfer switch with the Sentry-Pro's "Engine Fault" off, and the "Charge Battery" LEDs on. When pressed "Reset" on the Gen-Set to turn it off, the annunciator (on the Gen-Set) went off too.

I thought nothing of it and went back to the transfer switch. The Sentry-Pro was dead with no 12V going to it. The 10A fuse had opened again. I replaced it with a 15A to test, and now, even with the Gen-Set in "OFF" and the Sentry-Pro in "Standby", the generator will restart after 10 seconds. Resetting it will repeat this cycle once again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Better question:

Does anyone know where I can get the ES53G controller for the SP100-2 Gen-Set?

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some investigation, I found that the Installation Manual and the schematic did not match each other nor the Gen-Set/Transfer Switch. I was able to figure it out, I think..

The controller on the Gen-Set is sending an Engine Failure signal back to the main controller on the Transfer switch, causing it not to operate under power-out conditions. Removing that signal wire and dropping the main breaker started the Gen-Set, operated the Transfer Switch, applying power to the sub-panel - Yay! Restoring power, caused the Transfer Switch to move back to Commercial Power and after the cool-down period, the Gen-Set turned off. All working because of the disconnected Engine Fault signal wire.

Only Overcranking (which it does not do), Overheat (checked that), Low Oil Pressure (checked that), or a Voltage Fault, will shut down the Gen-Set and not allow it to be started by the Transfer Switch. Before the Gen-Set controller went blank the Voltage Fault light was always on. I am assuming Voltage Fault means low/no Voltage from the Gen-Set or improper frequency. I measured the Voltage at the Gen-Set - no load and it was 236V; 3 Volts lower than spec (even loaded it should be238V). Next, I am going to set the governor for the specified 3,800 RPM and see if that affects Voltage and Frequency.

If that does not work, Gillette has a new controller for $40...

Thanks to all.
J

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
i always set the gov by hz.
with a bit of a load on it like 1/2 of rated load.
use a good fluke meter with the hz setting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After some investigation, I found that the Installation Manual and the schematic did not match each other nor the Gen-Set/Transfer Switch. I was able to figure it out, I think..

The controller on the Gen-Set is sending an Engine Failure signal back to the main controller on the Transfer switch, causing it not to operate under power-out conditions. Removing that signal wire and dropping the main breaker started the Gen-Set, operated the Transfer Switch, applying power to the sub-panel - Yay! Restoring power, caused the Transfer Switch to move back to Commercial Power and after the cool-down period, the Gen-Set turned off. All working because of the disconnected Engine Fault signal wire.

Only Overcranking (which it does not do), Overheat (checked that), Low Oil Pressure (checked that), or a Voltage Fault, will shut down the Gen-Set and not allow it to be started by the Transfer Switch. Before the Gen-Set controller went blank the Voltage Fault light was always on. I am assuming Voltage Fault means low/no Voltage from the Gen-Set or improper frequency. I measured the Voltage at the Gen-Set - no load and it was 236V; 3 Volts lower than spec (even loaded it should be238V). Next, I am going to set the governor for the specified 3,800 RPM and see if that affects Voltage and Frequency.

If that does not work, Gillette has a new controller for $40...

Thanks to all.
J
Can you tell me where is the signal wire mentioned above? Im having the same problem and want to do the troubleshooting before calling Gillette.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a house with the same gen-set (SentryPro 8.5KW SP-85) powered by an air-cooled LPG briggs and stratton engine. I have been trying to find a manuals.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I bought a house with the same gen-set (SentryPro 8.5KW SP-85) powered by an air-cooled LPG briggs and stratton engine. I have been trying to find a manuals.
is this the series of generators?
click here for the sentrypro gillette at great lakes
they are one of the dealers.
click here is the install guide
and
click here for the gillette generator manufacture site
you should be able to reach out to them with the model and serial numbers for the
exact full set of manuals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts