Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my father's grass trimmer. Last time it ran was back in summer of 2017 and it ran good. After that it was abandoned and forgotten in my father's shed. I tried to revive the thing: replaced fulel filter, all fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, scrubbed the gas thank... After putting it together it started, ran for about 5 seconds and then gradually died out. I had a spare carb that came with the kit, quickly replaced it hoping for the improvement, but the thing would start, briefly respond to throttling up and down and then die out. Tried the new spark plug, no improvement. After it dies it's very hard to start it again. I'm running out of options. I ordered the crankcase gasket, maybe it'leaking and while waiting for it any suggestions what else I should check.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
what is the compression?

diaphragm in the carb right?
what shape was it in..... soft or hard?

yea look for a vac leak in a gasket....
or a plugged orfice in the carb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I know for sure both carbs are ok. I don't know what the compression is. I need to get the gauge. By the resistance this thing gives on a pull and the poping sounds out of the muffler I'd say it's good. The logical next step was the crankcase gasket. While at it, do you think I should replace the reed valve? We're already over the budget on fixing this thing, now I just want to see it running again.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
make sure it is not gunked at the edges or burned.
clean with carb cleaner.
then lube with 2 cycle oil

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would pull off the muffler and have a look at the piston and ring/s. If you see scoring, chances are the compression is below the bare minimum which varies by equipment type. In my opinion, a consumer grade string trimmer will barely run with 50-60 psi compression.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts