Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used RYI2200 at a local pawnshop for cheap. I already have one that I worked on and got working acceptably well. The guy at the shop told me it had been in pawn for a while. When I cranked it at the shop, it reeved a little but generally sounded fairly good. I put fresh gas in it and the reeving went away, but I occasionally hear a mild pop, pop, pop at exhaust. When I opened it up, it was clear the unit had barely been used, if at all. Even the original air filter didn’t have a speck of dust. The hoses were a little tough to get off because the generator had been sitting a while. I went ahead and cleaned the carb really well, thinking it might be gummed from old gas. There was a little bit of stuff in the bowl, but generally it was very clean. I cleaned all the parts of the carb and buttoned it back up. It ran well, just as before, but I’m still hearing the occasional pop, pop, pop. I replaced the spark plug and still the same issue. What would be the suggested next step.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A couple of extra notes: It happens at idle. With a load I "think" I still hear it but it's very, very faint. Adding choke does not make it go away. Typically there at 3 or 4 mild pop, pop, pops, then it will go away for a couple of minutes. I tried running a tank through it with an extra dose of seam foam, but that didn't make a difference. The exhaust doesn't smell like gas, or anything else.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Best if you can post a video with sound long enough to observe it running through its paces.... ie. with auto idle on and off, with and without load.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I picked up a used RYI2200 at a local pawnshop for cheap. I already have one that I worked on and got working acceptably well. The guy at the shop told me it had been in pawn for a while. When I cranked it at the shop, it reeved a little but generally sounded fairly good. I put fresh gas in it and the reeving went away, but I occasionally hear a mild pop, pop, pop at exhaust. When I opened it up, it was clear the unit had barely been used, if at all. Even the original air filter didn’t have a speck of dust. The hoses were a little tough to get off because the generator had been sitting a while. I went ahead and cleaned the carb really well, thinking it might be gummed from old gas. There was a little bit of stuff in the bowl, but generally it was very clean. I cleaned all the parts of the carb and buttoned it back up. It ran well, just as before, but I’m still hearing the occasional pop, pop, pop. I replaced the spark plug and still the same issue. What would be the suggested next step.
maybe a bit of seafoam in the gasoline as well to help with the trash in the fuel system
there is a fuel filter screen in the bottom of the tank or hose at the bottom of the tank on most of these.
maybe drain the tank and a full clean for trash.

check the oil for fuel in the oil, maybe an oil change.
carb float could have stuck and dumped fuel in the crank case...

try setting the valves, do a leak down test on the cyl.
there can be trash in the carb still. do you have an ultrasonic clean unit???
try a new carb.
and a new spark plug...

there was a bad run on spark plug caps a while back, you might replace that as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have adjusted the valve yesterday when I had it apart, but the unit literally looks brand new inside. I’m thinking it’s got less than 10 hours on it. Do the factories sometimes send them out with the valves out of spec?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll adjust the valves and report back. I wish they made the Ryobi units easier to service. The hard part is just taking off the shell. Honda does a much better job on that.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
yea sometimes they do not get the valves set right from the factory.
i am super picky on that...
before firing up any equipment i have mods and things to check on all motors etc.
valves is on that list as well as baseline compression for the files.
and install oil magnets before the first fire up.
check the inside of the gens case for loose parts or clamps touching hoses etc.
easy stuff if you have a bunch of gens to take care of!

·
Registered
2015 F150 4X4; 1970 Olds 442; 2020 Mastercraft XT22
30 Posts
I should have adjusted the valve yesterday when I had it apart, but the unit literally looks brand new inside. I’m thinking it’s got less than 10 hours on it. Do the factories sometimes send them out with the valves out of spec?
From the factory out of spec, I think no for a Honda or Yamaha. On a Chinese or Vietnamese mass-produced, less quality control intense system- Yes. Still would be rare, these engines are quite simple. But the symptoms say it's possible.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
before firing up any equipment i have mods and things to check on all motors etc.
Thank you for your help as always! I went ahead last night and ordered a new carb. For 21 bucks, I figure I should change that out while I’m already in there adjusting the valves. I’m going to try 1 more spark plug too, another name brand from another store. I bet you could make a Chinese made inverter generator last 20 years with daily use, couldn’t you?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took the case off today to adjust the valves. It looks like there is some oil leaking out of the back of the pulse fuel fuel pump but I can’t pinpoint exactly where. I took off the vacuum line and definitely no oil in there. Is the most likely scenario a bad fuel pump and could that be the root cause of the popping?

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's a good clue. You may have a vacuum leak. That can disturb the air-fuel mix and result in rough running.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I double checked the valves and they were exactly right. Compared to my old identical unit, this one looks pristine inside. Even the muffler shows no signs of use. I have a new fuel pump and carb coming this weekend. Maybe that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I double checked the valves and they were exactly right. Compared to my old identical unit, this one looks pristine inside. Even the muffler shows no signs of use. I have a new fuel pump and carb coming this weekend. Maybe that will solve the problem.
whew!
glad the valves were spot on!
that is a good sign.
did you do the leak down test yet??
that will show how well the rings and valves are seated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t have a tester to do a leak down test. I’m thinking about picking one up Harbor Freight. Probably not the best quality but I won’t use it all that much.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
you might be able to pick one up on a renta tool program at the local auto parts store.
you need a pretty good one to be spot on with the numbers...
or get numbers you can trust sort of thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I replaced the carb and fuel pump, which was kind of willing since both looked new. Pops are still there. Set up the in-line apart tester, and I’m pretty sure the pops I’m hearing are misses. The light would be fairly consistent then it would blink, I think just before the pops. I had to laugh because now I have 2 Ryobi2200’s with a spark issue. On the old unit I replaced both the ignition coil, pick up coil, and disconnected the low oil sensor and none of those solved the problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took some video but it’s really hard to hear the pops. Strangely, the in-line spark tester showed light the whole time but it only showed on the video sporadically. I don’t know if maybe the light is brighter and the recorder then picks it up or what.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts