Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Generac CP5500 that we are looking at using for a coffee trailer. It will not supply enough power for everything so I was looking at running two generators in tandem. We will need around 10k watts total, including start up wattage, as far as I can tell. Can I run two generators in tandem? Do they need to be the same brand or model? We have 220 V equipment so we will be using the 220 V port on the generator. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you mean combine the outputs, not really. The outputs, frequency and phase primarily, of both would need to synchronized.
Can you divide the loads between the two generators?
A bigger generator might be the answer.

·
Registered
648 Posts
No, only inverter style can be paralleled. You have regular open frame units. Paralleled means the two 240V feeds will be electrically connected. "Tandem?" not sure what you mean "electrically?". One CP 5500W is noisy two is going to be much worse.

Might isolate by equipment. e.g. Coffee maker #1 needs 4500W, that's CP 5500 #1, Coffee maker #2, 4500W, so that's CP 5500 #2. that would prevent cross connecting the generators as you would control by extension cords, with a little spare power to spread around to other users. If the loads aren't easy to be divided, get a 12,000-15,000W open frame unit which would be very noisy. And use a lot of gas and could get into hauling and storing gas to different sites.

Best, though expensive, is two inverters in parallel, much quieter, lower fuel consumption.

Need more definitive info on actual loads to answer the question. You might only need 10,000W initially then can use less

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the 5500 is noisy and we were worried about the DB level with having customers at the trailer.

I have a main electrical panel that distributes power to the trailer and one cord going in. I could possibly create another panel and circuit to just run the one coffee machine (6k watt) and then run a second generator for all other equipment, But it may be easier to get two inverter generators of about 5k watt each. My open frame CP5500 is not going to play nice with another generator (running in tandem).

The 10k watt calculation includes start up wattage for all equipment included, it will need less wattage after the equipment is started. However, items like the refrigerator, water pump, and A/C will intermittently start up throughout service. I don't believe equipment using heating elements have a start up wattage other than the listed wattage. I need to do more looking into exactly which pieces of equipment need start up wattage and which don't.

Gentlemen, thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you can budget your power needs to around 9kW peak and 7.6kW running, you can go with a Duromax XP9000iH. Its dual-fuel (runs on gasoline or propane) and can also be paralleled for twice the capacity or for redundancy. Ideal if you have an abundant supply of propane. Caveat is, peak and running Watts are reduced when running on propane (8.5kW and 7.2kW, respectively).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Genmax makes cheap 120V/240V inverters generators that can be paralleled. Gavin's Garage did a few videos reviewing them on Youtube. They seem pretty quiet and inexpensive. No idea about quality or reliability.

I like the Honda's, but they ain't cheap. I don't think I would ever consider an open frame non-inverter screamer for a food truck or customer facing business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts