Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad's old 6" grinder bit the dust after almost 50 years. It was a good one, so I ordered a new 8" to replace it. It's nice, but it was manufactured in China. I was hoping to avoid that. Living on a farm, most of my grinding needs a coarse stone, and a hard .014 steel brush. This unit came with a very soft steel, brass coated brush, and a medium 60grit stone. I looked around town, and all I could find were wheels made in China.

Well my order of new stone and brush came in , and guess where they were made. China. Probably from the same factory as those I could have bought in tow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Stone looks real good though, and it's balanced perfectly. I am very, very please with the results. The Brush is a 1" width x 8" diameter also. Can't complain about it either. The 5/8" Arbor is very snug on the drive shaft. More so, than I've ever encountered.

The original brush was 3/4" width, and had a washer behind it that was hard to remove from the driveshaft in order to install the 1" wheel brush. Now, I've got it set the way I need it. I just can't get over how all these name brand products are made in China. I could have saved some $$$ by just picking up what I needed down town though.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
If it makes you feel any better about the purchase I was given a craftsman bench grinder for free it is an older model I'm guessing about five or six years old and it had sat outside for a couple of years through rain and snow I took it home and plugged it in and it worked even the light works along with the variable speed feature needless to say I was impressed I've had it for a little over a year now and it sees regular use without any problems at all

·
Registered
123 Posts
Surprise! I have a 1973 purchased Craftsman Bench Grinder (original type wire wheel/stone). The grinder was made in the USA as most on my tools back then. I wish I had the room and cleanness vs my work bench sharing our tight garage with two cars (except when major work or projects are in progress). The grinder has some good hrs on it and still works well. Portable tools did and do the bulk of my work due to size and Handyman work away from home.

I have to admit the Offshore tools allowed me to own some tools I could not afford before the 80s market transitions. I learned to purchase personal tools that had been tested and used years at work which = a lifetime at home. Any Offshore tools that I felt d/n have quality but needed them, I purchased used USA made tool that were proven to last. I have a surplus of tools that I am trading or giving to younger friends since my one Daughter and Son-In-Law are not into my level of mechanical work.

The Bottom Line! Our Younger Generation is not as interested in what we were almost required to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts