Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've had to scoot my welder around on the shop floor to be able to weld on my farm equipment. On top of that, the original cables are limited in their reaching abilities. To alleviate my dilemma I got this lil cart, a heavy duty extension cord, and will add some length to the welding cables. Here's a pic of the project in the making.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good Job! I had a similar problem to be able to work in all parts of my garage, at least 10’ out on my drive and in my back yard without moving the welder.

1. I was told it’s better to have longer cables vs using the heavy duty extensions. The initial new set needed was made 30’. Then I found two additional 20’ pairs and would just clamp the cables as needed. If I ran out of cable, I used the 2nd ground cables to extend the electrode cable. I added 20’ sections of 1/8” X 1” mild steel to extend my ground. I was usually at my location by then.

2. Due to sharing my welder with friends at their homes, it was setup to run off the dryer’s 220V receptacle in 2 different 3 prongs configurations. Plus, we have a compatible 20’ Extension if needed if the dryer was not close enough to the garage or Ext. We have gotten 45 yrs of welding done (Repairs #1, Trailers, BBQs, Patio & Window Bars and etc.).

3.180 Amp Lincoln, soft start and 6 V charger. I got the monster for 50.00 about 1975 used and new cables were needed then. The monster has not ever shown a problem with the machine or breakers. It burns Lincoln 1/8" E6013 mainly like a Pro, 50 - 180 Amps (120 best avg).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can see that heavy duty 25' extension coiled in the front of the cart. When plugged in both ends light up. The end plug for the wall socket has a molded in handle so it can be pulled out of the socket smoothly. That lil AC235/DC160 Stickmate sets like a rock when on the floor. My old Lincoln 225AC was taller, and I could tilt it and walk it around in the shop fairly easy, but this one was a handful. I'm installing some quick couplings on the welding cable extensions, and see what I think about them.

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts