Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi. I am buying a new 10,000 watt portable generator with the intent to plug it into a transfer switch to my main panel. I plan on bringing an electrician in but have a couple of questions in the meantime. I have a main panel that is 200 amps and a subpanel in my garage but the main panel has the circuits that I want to use with the transfer panel. The new generator has a 120/240V, 50A – (NEMA 14-50R) outlet. It also has a 30A NEMA L14-30R outlet but I believe it's the 50A outlet I need to use to connect to the outdoor outlet for the transfer switch once it is installed. My question is whether there will be any issues tying in the transfer switch into the main panel given that there are only 2 slots left. I have an acquaintance who is a contractor and he was going off about potential issues I may have and that I may need to upgrade my panel. Anyway, see attached photo of my main panel. Slots 28 and 30 are available. Slots 16 and 18 go out to my subpanel which does have a number of open slots. I only know the basics about how a transfer switch ties into the main panel. I don't know any more than that so I am looking for an assessment and any advice anyone has. Thanks!
My transfer switch is connected to the main breaker and is a different setup than you guys use. I have not seen this setup being used in USA, its heavy duty and foolproof. It's what most people here in Puerto Rico use. Power goes out: pull the lever down, outside power gets cut off and generator power goes in. The top red light shows when there's outside power coming in. There's a little green LED in the bottom that comes on when there's generator power. With the top red light I can tell when the powers comes back and ate the same time how much voltage is coming into the house

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll try tomorrow during daytime. Its a simple manual transfer switch. Lever up: power from the electric company. Middle: everyting off. Lever down: Generator power.
Here are the extra pics, specifically the one for the Eaton transfer switch. Also I added a surge protector to the house.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts