Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Thanks for your response as well as responses by everyone else. It is clear to me that I should move the top 2 breakers on the right side down to the bottom. I have been reading alot about interlock vs transfer switch and it does seem like interlock is the way to go. Most of the circuits I want to run are on the main panel but I am adding central air which is being wired to the subpanel due to the lack of slots on the main panel. Another reason why the interlock sounds like the way to go. I was concerned with overloading the generator but it sounds like I need to manage this by managing the load, flipping off some circuits and worst case the breaker on the generator will trip if overpowered. I am planning on buying a Firman tri-fuel generator with the following specs:

OUTPUT
Running Watts8000(Gas) 7250(LPG) 5500(NG)
Starting Watts10000(Gas) 9050(LPG) 6900(NG)

I plan to hook it up to my natural gas line that is going to my gas grille. The supported wattage is alot less than gasoline so I will need to be more careful when running with natural gas. Maybe I will run gasoline during the day when usage is higher and natural gas at night. If anyone has any comments, let me know.
what is the btu rating on that gen set?
make sure the line is large enough for the gen set.
that is the cc's on the engine?
i like 1 inch on NG feed to medium gens.
then size down to 1/2 couplers and use 3/4 id hose.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
most gens need 150k btu min.
a gas grill needs 30-80k btu depending on how large the grill is.
3/4 would be the bare min.
so on the 1/2 line what is the total feet from the T from the larger line and the size on the larger line
and how many 90 deg fittings? each 90deg fitting is a minus 5 feet from the size chart.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
how far are you from the meter to the gen set?
can you get a 1 inch direct from the meter to the gen area?
they make pipe unions that help with system pipes that are already in place.

if you had 1 inch to the gen area, then you could do a mini manifold with 2 shuts offs and valves outside so you could run the grill and the gen at the same time.
neck down to 3/4 valves and 1/2 couplers at the point of use.
that is nice for when you are on extended outage to be able to boil water outside for drinking or for grilling some dinner.

that outside pipe needs replaced any way.
make sure to use good rust proof primer and rust proof paint.
they make the pro cans of pain these days with high solids.
a can goes a long ways!
pm if you need links.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
yup in the case of NG to a gen bigger is better on the pipe dia.
so for standard port gens.
i like 1 inch to the gen location with valves on both ends.
at the feed and at the point of use for safety shut off just in case you want to work on it or of you get a leak.

and if you are in earth quake areas ( almost all of the usa now ) make sure to have the new earth quake whole house shut off units put on for the new gas regulations.
they help keep you safe...

we had another bit of bumps last month here... a 2.xx rumble ...
and that is Iowa! lol!

they say those valves work for storm damage if you get a lot of building shaking.
and might be a good idea for storm areas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts